Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What expensive make up/skin care brands are worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking to splash out a little as it's my birthday. Wouldn't mind some new foundation and moisturiser especially.

ReputationRep:
    bobbi brown foundation all the way

ReputationRep:
    Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser. Works really well and I hardly have to use any each application so it lasts forever.

ReputationRep:
    'GOSH'?

ReputationRep:
    MAC :love:

ReputationRep:
    NOT the overhyped YSL Touché Eclat, which gives the same results as The Body Shop's highlighter and Garnier's tinted eye roll-on at double/triple the price.

ReputationRep:
    Clinique skin care is really in a league of its own.

ReputationRep:
    For moisturiser, I've always been a fan of Elizabeth Arden and Liz Earle.

I always recommend people stay away from Clinique due to the reactions a LOT of people get using their products.

ReputationRep:
    I really like MAC for foundation,
    they're the only ones that have a foundation near my skin colour

ReputationRep:
    Make Up For Ever Face and Body. Seriously amazing foundation..Problem is that you can't buy it in the UK..have to get it online which makes colour matching difficult. I also really like Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation. Perfect if you want a slightly dewy finish.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what is your skin type? And what sort of coverage are you looking for?

ReputationRep:
    Get Benefit's coralista. It is AMAZING to highlight cheekbones and stays on all day.
    Best lipstick is mac lipstick - you cant get a more pigmented lipstick anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    NOT the overhyped YSL Touché Eclat, which gives the same results as The Body Shop's highlighter and Garnier's tinted eye roll-on at double/triple the price.
    ooh this is something i was thinking of, haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    ooh this is something i was thinking of, haha
    seriously I was so underwhelmed cos the reviews really big it up but it's nothing special at all and so overpriced for what you get IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Make Up For Ever Face and Body. Seriously amazing foundation..Problem is that you can't buy it in the UK..have to get it online which makes colour matching difficult. I also really like Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation. Perfect if you want a slightly dewy finish.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what is your skin type? And what sort of coverage are you looking for?

it's combination, and i'm looking for coverage thats not too heavy, but makes me look even and.. radiant? ha

ReputationRep:
    loreal claim to be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    seriously I was so underwhelmed cos the reviews really big it up but it's nothing special at all and so overpriced for what you get IMO
    ahh i don't know whether to try it now then. there's 15% off at debenhams though making it 20 which isn't so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    ahh i don't know whether to try it now then. there's 15% off at debenhams though making it 20 which isn't so bad
    yeah that's bearable if you're yearning to try it.

ReputationRep:
    Urban Decay. Damn I love their eyeliner. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Avon is really good, and affordable IMO. Their cream to powder foundation is like the only foundation I've found that stays on all day/gives appropriate coverage

ReputationRep:
    bobbi brown and chanel foundations are lovely, so is nars sheer glow. i've never found high end/expensive moisturisers to be much different tbh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.