Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In breif: I keep having panic attacks, I had such a bad one yesterday that I passed out on the bathroom floor after the 3rd one in a row. I feel like i'm having a heart attack and there's something sitting on my chest and I can't breathe. I get soo dizzy too, and start feeling nauseous.

I went straight to a Dr (just to be sure because I normally get panic attacks at night, not in the daytime) who took one look at me and said 'you're having a panic attack'
    Well, duh :rolleyes:

Helpful, no? He says there's nothing can be done, as i'm already getting all the treatment.
    I know I get panic attacks often, i'm having CBT and on a high dose of fluoxetine, and i'm aware of my issues, but trying to control the panic attacks is so difficult.

Does anyone else suffer with them? How do you cope through it??

I'm trying to get a job so I really need to learn how to control them soon, and i'm prepared to try almost anything. Thanks Guys

ReputationRep:
    Cold water and controlled breathing when you are having one will help.

As far as stopping them, you'll have to work out why you're having them in the first place. Maybe see a doctor for some medication to start with and a counsellor to look into the reasons for having them, which may help you.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do during a panic attack is to NOT PANIC. That way you won't panic, which will in turn, prevent the panic attack reaching panic mode.

(Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Cold water and controlled breathing when you are having one will help.

As far as stopping them, you'll have to work out why you're having them in the first place. Maybe see a doctor for some medication to start with and a counsellor to look into the reasons for having them, which may help you.
    I try to keep my breathing controlled but it's so difficult! Especially at night when i wake up several times as i'm hyperventilating (due to night terrors)
    I'm seeing a therapist and having cognitive behavioural therapy, i'm also on anti-depressants.
    Theoretically i'm doing all I can to help myself, but it's getting worse and i'm worried it's going to spiral out of control and i'll turn into one of those never-going-out-of-the-house type people with severe mental disorders or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I try to keep my breathing controlled but it's so difficult! Especially at night when i wake up several times as i'm hyperventilating (due to night terrors)
    I'm seeing a therapist and having cognitive behavioural therapy, i'm also on anti-depressants.
    Theoretically i'm doing all I can to help myself, but it's getting worse and i'm worried it's going to spiral out of control and i'll turn into one of those never-going-out-of-the-house type people with severe mental disorders or something.
    How are you controlling the breathing? It's best if you breathe in through your nose and then out through your mouth, slowly. That helps a bit to stop you taking in too much oxygen, which can make you feel lightheaded and faint.

What anti-depressants? And what dosage? I was on 10 mg citalopram and they stopped me having the attacks.

And have you worked out why you're having them with the therapys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    The best thing to do during a panic attack is to NOT PANIC. That way you won't panic, which will in turn, prevent the panic attack reaching panic mode.
    Successful, logic is successful.

ReputationRep:
    Valium is good for panic attacks, but longer term you just have to man up.

(Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    How are you controlling the breathing? It's best if you breathe in through your nose and then out through your mouth, slowly. That helps a bit to stop you taking in too much oxygen, which can make you feel lightheaded and faint.

What anti-depressants? And what dosage? I was on 10 mg citalopram and they stopped me having the attacks.

And have you worked out why you're having them with the therapys?
    Yeah, thanks for that. It's difficult to remember to control your breathing when you're worried about throwing up/ collapsing / not making an arse of yourself in front of people, but I guess i'll have to try.
    Im on 40mg Fluoxetine atm, and they aren't doing an awful lot tbh. Apart from making me drowsy as hell.
    I have post traumatic stress disorder and depression, i'm a work in progress. It's hard but i'm trying to keep calm and positive really, these panic attacks are just making me take a huge step backwards though. Especially as I want to go back to uni next year and get a job soon!

ReputationRep:
    Breathe into a paper bag

ReputationRep:
    I read this as "Palin Attacks - How to cope?" and was very, very confused.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You can learn various relaxation techniques which are apparently meant to help. Like breathing and other ****. I dunno, google it.

ReputationRep:
    It helps if you hold someone's hands, and look at them while they tell you to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, at the correct pace.

Also, listening to music with a beat similar to the pace of correct breathing.

Talking to someone about something random might help, anything to take your mind off what caused the attack

I can't think of anything else I'm afraid

When I have one at school, my friend holds my hands and helps me breathe properly, then gets frustrated because it takes ages

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.