Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it the working class who lose out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Middle class can afford to pay up front, free school meal kids who have been living off the government their whole lives get it free and the working class, who are struggling to get by, end up worst off.

Am I the only person that thinks the working class will lose the most from the tuition fee rise.

I come from a very average working class family where we can afford to live but my parents won't be able to pay any of my university costs. I have an older brother and a twin sister, we will all be at uni at the same time so there's no way my parents will be able to support me any more than buying me the odd clothes or bringing some food up when they visit.

I'm planning to do medicine and I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine. Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

How can the government say I can afford to go to university when I won't even be eligible to a full maintenance grant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    Middle class can afford to pay up front,
    No they can't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: No one loses out. No one pays up front you do not pay back anything until you earn 21k this puts everyone on equal footing how are people not getting this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    :facepalm2: No one loses out. No one pays up front you do not pay back anything until you earn 21k this puts everyone on equal footing how are people not getting this?
    I've given up to be honest. Now I just take the attitude that they'll realise how the system works when they graduate and find a very small amount of money listed under "Student loan repayment" on their paycheque each month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    Middle class can afford to pay up front, free school meal kids who have been living off the government their whole lives get it free and the working class, who are struggling to get by, end up worst off.

Am I the only person that thinks the working class will lose the most from the tuition fee rise.

I come from a very average working class family where we can afford to live but my parents won't be able to pay any of my university costs. I have an older brother and a twin sister, we will all be at uni at the same time so there's no way my parents will be able to support me any more than buying me the odd clothes or bringing some food up when they visit.

I'm planning to do medicine and I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine. Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

How can the government say I can afford to go to university when I won't even be eligible to a full maintenance grant?
    How do you define working and middle class?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.