Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I take a Gap year this year, I'd be a mature student by the time I get in next year.
    Do things work differently? Is it more difficult to get in?
    basically, is it worth it?

ps: not too fussed about the increased fees...I'll pay it back....someday

(I searched tsr for other threads on this..but couldn't find any...redirect me if necessary)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student I think (well I know I tried to) you need to prove that you are still dedicated to university study and you have maybe done something on your gap year which has enhanced you as a person or your studies... I said my employment / travels would help me
    I don't think being mature makes it harder, universities need mature students and do there best to recruit them.
    Plus if your quite mature or have unconventional qualifications universities can be nice.
    i applied to abb courses with bcc and got in as a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin-matt)
    As a mature student I think (well I know I tried to) you need to prove that you are still dedicated to university study and you have maybe done something on your gap year which has enhanced you as a person or your studies... I said my employment / travels would help me
    I don't think being mature makes it harder, universities need mature students and do there best to recruit them.
    Plus if your quite mature or have unconventional qualifications universities can be nice.
    i applied to abb courses with bcc and got in as a mature student.
    And you're still eligible for loans right?
    How do you prove you are dedicated to uni tho?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    And you're still eligible for loans right?
    How do you prove you are dedicated to uni tho?
    yeah definatly eligable for all financial help dont panic about that
    if its just a year your taking off it might not need to demonstrate a commitment to course/subject/uni

i know if you been out of education for a while youd prob have to go into greater detail the reasoning behind why you want to go uni or what u want to study

for example i said that my employment for a theatre company and as a assistant in secondary school has helped me become more determined in getting a degree etc... that sortof thing. i suppose it depends where you apply. some unis dont like students deferring without good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin-matt)
    yeah definatly eligable for all financial help dont panic about that
    if its just a year your taking off it might not need to demonstrate a commitment to course/subject/uni

i know if you been out of education for a while youd prob have to go into greater detail the reasoning behind why you want to go uni or what u want to study

for example i said that my employment for a theatre company and as a assistant in secondary school has helped me become more determined in getting a degree etc... that sortof thing. i suppose it depends where you apply. some unis dont like students deferring without good reason.
    Could "my college messed up my application" be a good enough reason ? Obviously I'll try my hardest to do stuff relevant to the course I want to apply to and try and develop some other skills maybe learn another language but to be honest. the first mentioned would be the only real reason as to why I would go for gap year.

ReputationRep:
    you dont need a reason to take a gap year. most universities dont care. are u applying during gap year or deferring?? some unis (like durham or bristol or oxbrigde) aint too keen on accepting lots of deferred people. but if ur applying just one year after school there wouldnt be any need to explain yourself.. maybe just put what youve done in ur gap year in a sentence. ive taken four years off lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.