Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Figured i'd title this 5/3/1 so that folks who reply already know the program i'm talking about (which save me some time)

I'm currently working on the 5/3/1 for strength, and my mate wants to start going to the gym together - which suits me as i'd get a spotter. I figured it'd be easier for us both if we used the same system, not least because i don't want to change now, but he's interested in toning and conditioning rather than strength.

So, my question is: if i adapt the number of reps for him to aim for hypertrophy and endurance rather than strength, maybe increase the number of assistance exercises by a couple, is he going to suffer from any major losses working out mostly based on the four core lifts?

(Also yes, i get that it might make more sense for me to stick to my program and him to work out one based on his goals. But i'm more gym-oriented than him and he asked to do something similar to what i'm doing.)

Should be fine, just don't have him on the same system as you, try and have him add 2.5kg a week if he's new to the gym..

ReputationRep:
      Since he's a beginner, he should be doing pretty light weights and pushing it every session anyway. Just run the 5/3/1 excercise selection and see what he can push up every session.

ReputationRep:
      Ok yeah, that makes sense...thanks guys, appreciate it

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.