Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11. I have done all the coursework for literature, however I have the choice between media and literature. I don't think I want to take english at a level; and media looks easy and fun. But do universities and employers care which of these you take at gcse?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'd take lit.
    No a level is fun and easy, don't pick your a levels on what looks easy or you'll fall in the trap of not revising because you think you'll ace it and failing spectacularly.

Depends what job or university course you go for. Obviously many people think media is a wishy washy subject may discriminate against it.

ReputationRep:
    I do both and I personally prefer Lit, but it really depends from person to person...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonny_J_D)
    I do both and I personally prefer Lit, but it really depends from person to person...
    I would but I only have 5 months left, and can only do one. I think I'd opt for media as I'm better at coursework, and 60% of the course is coursework.

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer coursework then media is probably better

ReputationRep:
    MEDIA is blacklisted by most univesites but English Literature is seen as a top subject, so if you're planning on university then i would not go with media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexter:))
    MEDIA is blacklisted by most univesites but English Literature is seen as a top subject, so if you're planning on university then i would not go with media
    This isn't for a lvel, just as a second gcse in my english lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Lit I adore it and the cw is most of the work as it is! The poems are easy and straightfoward to learn and I haven't started on the novel yet but my school offers some really nice books. Lit is also FAR more respected! If you've done all the lit cw why change now?

ReputationRep:
    Do Lit, so much more respected. I did Lit in year 10, now I have to do media in year 11, if you're not interested in working in the media it's insanely boring, and for nothing cause it's not respected at all.

On a side note, my media teacher said "Media A-Level is more relevant than English A-Level and I'd advise you to take Media." and I laughed.

ReputationRep:
    I thought lit was compulsory at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Untrue, I took media and was accepted by all the unis I applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I thought lit was compulsory at GCSE?
    It varies from school to school

ReputationRep:
    If i was you I would deffo do Lit. I do media as a seperate subject and I have to say that since I have no interest in working in the media it is torture for me. The coursework is also pretty difficult so I don't think you will have time in the 5 months, obv i dont know what its like as part of english but we have to do lots of research and planning before creating your media peice and you have to write lots of evaluations, you have to learn all the media vocab etc. And as people have said lit is a lot more respectable! hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Untrue, I took media and was accepted by all the unis I applied to.
    i didnt say you wouldnt get accepted, just that they prefer traditional subjects, their opinion, not mine:curious: !!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say you wouldnt get accepted, just that they prefer traditional subjects, their opinion, not mine:curious: !!!!!!!!!!
    Blacklisted seems to suggest that they wouldn't accept....

ReputationRep:
    Blacklisted seems to suggest that they wouldn't accept....
    Thats exactly my point, THEY they seem to suggest it:coma:

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly my point, THEY they seem to suggest it:coma:
    Do they?
    Most seem fine, I even emailed Durham about my subjects and their main concern was the possibility of me dropping history in favour of a science subject, they didn't have any issues with media :dontknow:

and why is there a jizz face in your post????

ReputationRep:
    fine, everyones entitled to an opinion and i've given mine and you've given yours....and its a bored face btw....im bored now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.