Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

starting off Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    i passed my test recently and now have switched to a different older car but also from diesel to petrol, i know that the diesels have more torque etc so harder to stall,

so when i started driving my car i was stalling a lot, i was almost guessing where the bite was and was struggling.
    so i developed a new technique of putting gas down to get some revs then bring my clutch up from pretty much the floor to start,

is this bad? does anyone else struggle to find the bite in their car?

also when on a hill im not sure how i should start i normally just use extra gas and bring my clutch up a bit quicker :s

any tips/advice
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Use quite a bit of gas for a few seconds when you start off the car.

When you're on a hill you can either use a handbrake, which is harder but more effective, or just quickly move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and make sure you have enough rpm so the car doesnt drive down the hill and/or the engine doesn't go off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtrees)
    so i developed a new technique of putting gas down to get some revs then bring my clutch up
    Now if a half decent instructor had taught you to do that in the first place, you'd be able to drive any car. I don't understand why instructors in diesels teach sloppy techniques to scrape through a test rather that teach a skill of driving for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Now if a half decent instructor had taught you to do that in the first place, you'd be able to drive any car. I don't understand why instructors in diesels teach sloppy techniques to scrape through a test rather that teach a skill of driving for life.
    Agreed!

When your on a hill put the handbrake on then increase the RPM to say 2500rpm then bring the clutch up until you feel the car starting to dip down where the handbrake is holding it. Release the handbrake and bring the clutch fully up and drive off like normal.

ReputationRep:
    i totally understand what your talking about OP, in a diesel car you don't need any gas to make it go (you just bring up the clutch, then gas)... so it's alot harder when you set footin a petrol as theres a kindof see-saw technique you have to master...little advice if it ever feels like your gonna stall just put more revs. good luck x

(Original post by kitcat17)
      i totally understand what your talking about OP, in a diesel car you don't need any gas to make it go (you just bring up the clutch, then gas)... so it's alot harder when you set footin a petrol as theres a kindof see-saw technique you have to master...little advice if it ever feels like your gonna stall just put more revs. good luck x
      Then when you lift the clutch you go roaring off (into the car in front)? No, that's totally the wrong way. If it's going to stall you dip the clutch in.

ReputationRep:
      ok... sorry i'm an inexperienced driver, and i drive a diesel

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.