Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys can someone help me with 1500 words essay. i real am struggling on it. especially as the case is far too long and i dont know which information is relevant. the questions are

Colt Group Ltd. v Couchman [2000] I.C.R. 327

Attached is an extract from the judgment of Charles J in this case. Please address the following specific questions.

(a) Citation, court, parties and Judges - 5 marks
    (b) Material facts - 10 marks
    (c) Procedural history - 5 marks.
    (d) Grounds for appeal and reasoning of the court for the judgment given. - 80 marks.

Some of the issues which should be included in (d) are:

(i) Explain the terms of section 7 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and the question of interpretation to be decided by the court.

(ii) Explain the decision and reasoning of the Employment Tribunal which is being appealed in the case attached.

(iii) Explain the decision and reasoning in the attached case.

(iv) Explain the process by which the court interpreted the statutory provision in the attached judgment.

(v) Which other sources did the court consider in making its interpretation? Were they right to do so?

(vi) What did the court have to say about the previous case of Pepper (Inspector of Taxes) v. Hart [1993] A.C. 593 ? How did they use that earlier authority?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ESPECIALLY FOR QUESTION 5 as that is the main one i am stuck with

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. I see a fellow UClan First year law student
    My lawyer skills tutor basically told us that we don't have to write it in an essay format as she'll be marking it (I.e- (a) The judges were x. The people involved were y). etc... So it doesn't have to be a strict "essay" format.
    Also, it's reallllly complicated to understand if ur just reading the case. I suggest using Westlaw or LexisLibrary as it simplifies it considerably in my opinion.
    The case was first heard in an employment tribunal, and the extract you've been given is the "employment appeals tribunal" case. Basically companies who have less than 20 employees are not allowed to have an employment tribunal, but it wasn't clear if this company had less than 20 as the fact that this company was part of a group of companies made the employers appeal the case on this grounds.
    (Or at least this is what I understood)

I'm doing it right now =p so good luck to u as well

ReputationRep:
    Did you manage to do this then?

I'm doing mine and it has to be in two days. I havent started it yet. Im stuck PLEASE help me if you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.