Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive just had a medicine interview at Cambridge. Basically I knew my BMAT scores (5ish scores and 4D) were a little bit low beforehand from talking to other people there but I was basically told my the interviewer that I didn’t have a chance of getting in.* So what was the ****ing point in calling me up in the first place, its just a waste of everyones time tbh*

My first interview was about science and medicine and I felt it went ok, I got asked questions which I sort of knew the answers to nd even tho I didn’t express myself that well, it didn’t go disastrously. The second interview was 1-on-1 with the director of studies. She introduced herself n sed that this was the ‘pastorel’ interview. At the start she spent like 5 minutes reading my application and then she asked me questions bout my personal statement and what I would bring to college life and an ethics question about some violinist. Then at the end she sed do u have any questions, so I just asked wen will we find out even tho I knew it was early jan…then she just said something along the lines of ‘I think with your BMAT scores and the competition we have this year I don’t think it will be easy to make you an offer but you never know’ in a really patronising way. So basically that means that theyre aren’t making me an offer. I told the uni applications person in my college and he said that’s outrageous.*

I don’t understand what the point is in calling someone up to interview, making them dress up in a suit and just go through the whole thing and not really care what happens in the interview and just go on some crappy 1hr exam. So pissed off. Can I complain against them or at least get my train fare back or something?

ReputationRep:
    Sup guys I got a subject interview in 30 mins. Wish me good luck plz. Been going great so far

Got nothing better to do than to hang here atm

ReputationRep:
    Well they aren't gonna give you anything back because they can easily lie and say you have a small chance etc.
    Really they just wasted your time and what that guy said was pretty rude actually, he shouldn't have said anything, but there isn't really anything you can do 'cept move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iopiop93)
    Hi, ive just had a medicine interview at Cambridge. Basically I knew my BMAT scores (5ish scores and 4D) were a little bit low beforehand from talking to other people there but I was basically told my the interviewer that I didn’t have a chance of getting in.* So what was the ****ing point in calling me up in the first place, its just a waste of everyones time tbh*

My first interview was about science and medicine and I felt it went ok, I got asked questions which I sort of knew the answers to nd even tho I didn’t express myself that well, it didn’t go disastrously. The second interview was 1-on-1 with the director of studies. She introduced herself n sed that this was the ‘pastorel’ interview. At the start she spent like 5 minutes reading my application and then she asked me questions bout my personal statement and what I would bring to college life and an ethics question about some violinist. Then at the end she sed do u have any questions, so I just asked wen will we find out even tho I knew it was early jan…then she just said something along the lines of ‘I think with your BMAT scores and the competition we have this year I don’t think it will be easy to make you an offer but you never know’ in a really patronising way. So basically that means that theyre aren’t making me an offer. I told the uni applications person in my college and he said that’s outrageous.*

I don’t understand what the point is in calling someone up to interview, making them dress up in a suit and just go through the whole thing and not really care what happens in the interview and just go on some crappy 1hr exam. So pissed off. Can I complain against them or at least get my train fare back or something?
    WOW, you should complain definitely. Pick a case with these stuck up fools.

ReputationRep:
    Which college was this?

At the start she spent like 5 minutes reading my application and then she asked me questions bout my personal statement and what I would bring to college life and an ethics question about some violinist.
    Haha, I got the same one!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. It is wrong if that is what she said - but ultimately, the train fare is your expense and you make it for the chance of being made an offer. Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    They invite you to give you a chance to prove you're more competent than your BMAT scores might suggest. Also, "you never know" ... so keep waiting.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck! I'm sure you'll ace it!

Which college are you at btw?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if I shud say which college it is while my application is still there, whatever it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm if this is true, thats completely against policy, they're not meant to tell you anything like that until when your decision letter comes...

ReputationRep:
    lol I remember before my interview. I was sitting in Starbucks half in despair that I was going to have a bad interview (which I did), half in awe that I was about to actually have an interview at one of the worlds best unis and impressed by the fact that I was here due to ignoring the advice of people who claimed that upon one look, my application would be thrown in the bin.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Wolfson

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, hope it goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Just treat it like meeting a new teacher or something I reckon. Then again I know sweet fa about interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to be too nervous, that way the conversation will flow more easily.

Hope it goes well!

ReputationRep:
    How do I complain and who to.

ReputationRep:
    What subject?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.