Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lending out ID to underagers...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's 17 yo sister emailed me asking to borrow some ID for her works do on saturday. I was going to say no, but then I remembered that she now works at the same place as my boyfriends mum, and that she probably wouldn't like it if I denied her daughter the ability to go out with her. So I agreed to give her a now useless to me, but still government issued, form of ID.

Beginning to regret this a little, what are the possible consequences if it doesn't work for her?

ReputationRep:
    Well she could get arrested and then you'd have to go down to the police station to prove that she hadn't stolen it.

This happened to my boyfriend when he was 17. Though he was very drunk, so I wouldn't be suprised if this was quite an isolated incident.

ReputationRep:
    Just that they may take the ID off her , you wont get in trouuble but she could get a telling off for using someone elses if she gets found out... nothing serious tbh. ask for it back and ill buy it off ya for £50!

ReputationRep:
    I think the worse thing that I have heard is that it gets confiscated. Still, unless you are black and she is white or visa versa or the work thing is at a really posh place, it is unlikely anything would happen.

ReputationRep:
    It is classed as identity fraud, she would be the one in trouble not you. However, the likelihood of something going wrong is so minimal that it should be fine. We all wanted a drink when we were underage at some point so I wouldn't worry about it and just let her go out and enjoy her night, should it go wrong then it will be her that is dropped in it, not you.

ReputationRep:
    rarely anything. I went out when I was 16/17 all the time - if they dont believe it's you they just say, not tonight, try somewhere else, and leave it at that. I've never seen anyone have an ID confiscated, but if they do, go back for it and just say you're sorry, your sister took it out of your purse.

ReputationRep:
    The worst I've heard going wrong is the ID getting confiscated. When I was underage I saw people get away with using someone else's ID that looked nothing like them at all! I even lent my ID to this girl in my year (who looked kind of similar to me) a few times and she got away with it fine.

Either way, it would be more her that would get in trouble, not you.

ReputationRep:
    Realsie that doormen are under pressure to let people in. They don't want to piss people off by getting them arrested

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.