Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get a new laptop and I'm stuck between going for a Macbook Pro 13" and a customised Sony Vaio.

In terms of the Macbook I'd be looking at getting it with 4gb Ram and a 320/500gb HDD (and I can get the education store discount which is around 10% I think). For less than that I could get a Sony Vaio with blu-ray player, HD screen (if I go for the 16" model) and dedicated graphics, not to mention a better processor etc.

I'm not going to be playing tonnes of demanding games, after all, if I was, I'd just get a desktop. I think most games I might play would be playable on the Macbook Pro, though if anyone could give me an idea of what relatively recent games it can/can't play I'd be grateful.

I think the main concern is reliability. My current laptop is 2 years old and has slowed down quite a bit. Are Macbooks really more durable and reliable in the long-term? And does the extra cost of the Macbook justify itself despite its lower spec compared to the Vaio?

Any opinions would be most welcome.

ReputationRep:
    It's an easy choice. If you want to pay double the price, just for the logo, get a Mac. If you want a decent computer, don't.

ReputationRep:
    Macbooks are more reliable and long lasting in general.

But for anything over simple things i'd recommend a sony vaio. It will do the things you want with so much more efficiency and power.

What kind og games do you want to play? anything over simple flash games will always play better on the vaio, so even if its a small factor for you, the end result will be bigger than you think.

Having said that, you dont NEED a beasty laptop, the specs of mac seem fine, but thats up to you whether you wanna spend that much.

My thoughts.
    Get vaio, get extended warranty meaning it cancels out how reliable the mac is .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    It's an easy choice. If you want to pay double the price, just for the logo, get a Mac. If you want a decent computer, don't.
    Rubbish post is rubbish.

This thread will inevitably descend into another pointless mac vs PC debate but here are the facts OP.

On a purely pay per spec basis? The sony vaio trumps the mac easily.
    However the Macbook pro has several advantages and additions to it that make it quite attractive.

-Unibody = Improved cooling and durability.
    -Multi touch trackpad = Something the Vaio has not got integrated to the level of the mac.
    -A UNIX based OS which is both targeted less and more innately resilient to viruses, as opposed to the quite frankly flimsy OS of DOS.
    -Sub-point, The new OS comes with some incredibly powerful editing programs for free which are better than their free windows counterparts by a significant margin.
    -A backlit keyboard.
    -Magsafe charger, you will never trip over your wire and send your laptop hurtling to the floor.
    -Battery life, because Apple designs both hardware and software, they are able to maximize efficiency and thereby reduce battery life used compared to other similar sized laptops. [Especially a 16 incher].
    -Whilst the vaio probably has more customizability in terms of graphics, the Mac book pro series DO have their own dedicated graphics. When you use something graphically intensive, the 13 inch macbook pro has a Nvidia 320M discrete chip whilst the 15 and 17 inchers have Nvidia 330Ms. By no means are these top of the market, but they do suffice.
    -The machine is a beautiful piece of design, you only need to hold one to know this. Compare it to a clunky, plastic laptop, its just not the same.

Thats all I got right now.

inb4 flamefest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)

:facepalm:

You make valid points i'm not going to argue.

But you sit there acting like others are here to start a flame war and such.. yet all you do is say 'sony vaio had better specs ... now let me list loads of reasons why macs are good and say not one more about the vaio' . you contradict your own annoyance of other people.

You cant say .. Right.. here are the facts.
    Then just list facts about one of the items in mention and say hardly anything about the other.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a Vaio F series now - haven't used the blu ray player yet.

Pros: i7 = super fast, even when it's not turbo boosting itself, nice build quality, scrabble tile keys feel really nice, great laptop screen.

Cons: Heavy and bulky, gets noisy when turbo boosting (it doesn't bother me - I quite like it... like revving an engine), graphics card is fine for Dead Space but, for some reason, isn't too great on CoD Black Ops, speakers aren't that great - Mac's are way better for sound, battery life is terrible (this is more of a desktop replacement so it doesn't both me), only 5400rpm hard drive which I sometimes which was 7200.

For me, the cons don't really affect me, apart from when I need to travel home from uni, as I rarely play games, the graphics card issue doesn't really affect me, I have external speakers, I don't use my battery anyway and I have an external hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    The battery life on a Vaio is beyond pants.

ReputationRep:
    A: Pay less for a laptop that does what you want.

B: Pay more for a laptop that does what you want

Simple fact is the Sony Laptop is better so no point in bothering with the MacBook. The price of a MacBook isn't justified considering the spec it comes with which is rubbish. It's just another one of those: "Do you want a lovely Apple product, or a product that has a better spec for your money?" questions.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be one or the other? There are tons of laptops that have the same specs, same uni-body design, same battery life and bigger, better screen than the macbook pro, for less money. (and I'll admit that the macbook pro is nicely designed, that's why its worth looking for cheaper alternatives that are equally good, rather than inferior).

And then install Linux on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    And then install Linux on it.
    Yes! Bingo!

ReputationRep:
    i thought mac were pretty poor when it comes to gaming...?
    anyhoo, i just customied a e-series vaio for less than £600
    # Intel® CoreTM i3-370M, 2.40GHz
    # Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    # English (QWERTY)
    # Black
    # 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
    # 4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    # DVD disc drive
    # 39.4 cm LCD, 1366x768 + webcam
    # ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

i think it look really nice, maybe not as beautiful as a mac but still nice and way cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it depends.
    If you want to play games, then I don't recommend the MBP. But if you just want to play basic games on low-graphics, you'd probably get away with most FPS' on low settings.
    I was hesitant two years ago to opt for the MacBook base model over the DELL XPS M1530- the DELL XPS M1530 had quadruple the RAM, double the VRAM(which was dedicated rather than integrated), a larger screen(though, to be fair, I sort of like 13" over 15.3", but was a big change from the previous 17" laptop I owned), etc.
    However, unless I wanted to go down the tedious route of installing some sort of Hackintosh-system on the DELL XPS M1530, then I'd be missing out on the OS. I personally prefer the feel of Mac OS X over Windows 7... If you want I'll PM you(or make another post here) as to why, but you've probably heard them all before and made up your own mind. If you haven't, then I really recommend you get yourself down to a local Apple store and try it out 'cause the main attraction is the OS IMO.
    I also like how I can treble-boot Mac OS X, Windows and a Linux distro of my choice with considerably better ease than I would've on the DELL XPS M1530. Right now I dual-boot Mac OS X and Slackware Linux, since I probably would never boot into Windows.
    I've had the MB for two years and will probably have it for another year until I buy a new system. I'm not sure if I'll get a desktop or a MBP, but honestly, I have no regrets. If I got the DELL I know I'd have to be getting another one by now since none of the up-to-date Windows software would be run smoothly and stuff. Though right now I have Spotify, Mail, Safari, Adium, QuickTime, Text Edit, Activity Monitor, DreamWeaver, Preview, Handbrake(nothing's being encoded though) and VLC Media player open and there's no lag. I do feel that this wouldn't be true on Windows. I've actually got used to not closing applications on Mac OS X since only when there's hardly any lag :P.
    Though, to be fair, every 3 months or so I'll wipe my HDD- sometimes Mac OS X will be a bit buggy, sometimes I'll have partitioning issues, etc. so I can't really comment on how long an install lasts. Though I know a lot of people have had a Mac for say two years and never had to do a clean install.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Rubbish post is rubbish.

This thread will inevitably descend into another pointless mac vs PC debate but here are the facts OP.

On a purely pay per spec basis? The sony vaio trumps the mac easily.
    However the Macbook pro has several advantages and additions to it that make it quite attractive.

-Unibody = Improved cooling and durability.
    -Multi touch trackpad = Something the Vaio has not got integrated to the level of the mac.
    -A UNIX based OS which is both targeted less and more innately resilient to viruses, as opposed to the quite frankly flimsy OS of DOS.
    -Sub-point, The new OS comes with some incredibly powerful editing programs for free which are better than their free windows counterparts by a significant margin.
    -A backlit keyboard.
    -Magsafe charger, you will never trip over your wire and send your laptop hurtling to the floor.
    -Battery life, because Apple designs both hardware and software, they are able to maximize efficiency and thereby reduce battery life used compared to other similar sized laptops. [Especially a 16 incher].
    -Whilst the vaio probably has more customizability in terms of graphics, the Mac book pro series DO have their own dedicated graphics. When you use something graphically intensive, the 13 inch macbook pro has a Nvidia 320M discrete chip whilst the 15 and 17 inchers have Nvidia 330Ms. By no means are these top of the market, but they do suffice.
    -The machine is a beautiful piece of design, you only need to hold one to know this. Compare it to a clunky, plastic laptop, its just not the same.

Thats all I got right now.

inb4 flamefest.
    Sony laptops are fantastic.

As for your list:

Unibody - doesn't really matter, lets be honest... yeah it looks nice, but still not a majory deal breaker.
    Unix based OS? So installing any distro onto the vaio is going to be difficult? Riiight...
    Sub-point? That's why no one has even heard of it I assume.
    Backlit keyboard - granted, I love my backlit keyboard... however I don't need a macbook pro to let me have it.
    Battery life - best point you've made, battery life on macbooks is excellent.
    Graphics - DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?! Seriously, have you ever owned/looked at the specs of the decent vaios?!!

I love macbooks. I really want one, and almost bought one recently. I intend to buy one after Christmas - honestly I do. However this is not for many of the supposedly superior reasons you listed above. Macbooks run amazingly well, the battery life is fantastic and the general design/display is lovely. I don't expect to get a virus or for the OS to crash that often, if at all.. However, if someone told me I'd have to have a vaio instead I'd be equally as happy seeing as they are amazingly well made machines. Your UNIX argument is simply ridiculous since another distro can easily be installed on any laptop and will run equally as well as OSX or whatever.

I hate arguing with you, and I really didn't want to post this because it will probably result in masses of arguments. However, you really do need to back down on the whole mac vs pc sort of thing - Macs are brilliant, there is no doubt. However at the same time, many non-mac machines are as good and better. Just because they don't have the apple logo doesn't make them a pile of **** :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need a Mac/Sony.

Work out what you need to use the laptop for and what you want. You might find there's a better (and possibly cheaper) option out there.

For some of the points raised above consider the following.

In terms of name. You're paying for the name on both the macbook pro and the Sony. Dell, Toshiba, Novatech etc. you won't pay as much for the name as you do for Sony,Mac

DOS hasn't existed since Win98/Winme. WinXP onwards are based on Windows NT which didn't have DOS. The point about viruses is true that they are targeted towards Windows at present but there's some signs that's starting to change.

Battery life. Batteries are consumable items. Personally I wouldn't expect that good a battery life after a couple of years.

If you buy the Mac you'll probably be using MacOS (unless you buy windows to put on it instead) which means you can't run the same software as on a windows PC. There are equivalents or Mac versions of most bits of software but you might find some things you cant use.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Arguing Mac vs. PC is like arguing about which colour is best. Different people like different things, it's stupid to argue or indeed even to post threads which are asking for the argument.

Anyway, I think orange is clearly the best colour.

ReputationRep:
    Mac vs Vaio ? I don't know, both are overpriced rip offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Arguing Mac vs. PC is like arguing about which colour is best. Different people like different things, it's stupid to argue or indeed even to post threads which are asking for the argument.

incorrect a pc with linux installed is easily superior to a mac in every way

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the above. I'm only looking at Sony and Apple because the Sony seems to be the most customisable while Apple supposedly has advantages in terms of reliability etc.

I'm probably leaning more towards a macbook at the moment, mainly because I've not spoken with anyone yet who regrets the switch to Apple. I'm not so concerned in terms of games, I always tend to be a few years behind...(I was playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault yesterday...not quite BlackOps )...so the Vaio's victory in terms of its GPU isn't such a big deal. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but on top of the 10% discount, doesn't Apple extend the warranty to 3 years for free when you buy through the education store?

I think I might wait until early 2011, since it seems a lot of people think the Macbook's are due for an update.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

I think you'll find you're wrong.

Green is the best.

I also think you'll find that this is the best post in this thread so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

:thumbsup: for the describing the mac vs pc as being like arguing about colours. That's the best description I've seen of what the arguments like.

Although I'm afraid I can't agree with your choice of colour. Purple is so much better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.