The Student Room Group

Relevant extra curricular activities for an Economics applicant

Hi everyone, I plan to apply to my chosen universities next year however I am slightly worried about my extra curricular activities, I do a lot of sport and this is not related much to economics. If anyone knows any successful Economics applicants could you please share what extra curricular activites they take part in as it is really worrying me that mine are not relevant which may show a lack of interest in the subject etc. Thanks
Reply 1
Tbh it doesn't really matter, your extra curricular is only gonna be around 100 words or so on your personal statement. All the top unis only really care about grades, your passion for economics in your personal statement and if oxbridge then your economic and mathematic ability. As for economics extra curricular i think maybe a school economics society might be useful to discuss ideas, target 2.0 is good if your school does it and LSE hold public lectures which are generally of a high standard :smile:
Try get involved at school - maybe you could start an Economics help club or debating society or something if your school is like that. Participation in Maths challenges may help. I also suggest Target 2.0 but how you write about these things in your personal statement will be the most important thing.

Read about your subject and visit lectures.
all you have to do is show em you're interested in Economics, hence read Economics related books.. I'd say read Globalisation and its Discontent by Joseph Stiglitz (Nobel Laureate in Econ! Spoken to him on Twitter!) and The Truth About Markets by John Kay or Reinventing The Bazaar... you're wikipedia to the history of econ! Attend lectures at LSE, UCL and other unis about Econ. Read blogs, you may even should consider opening your own mini school newspaper "The Economics Scene" (hehe, JUST an idea..) or write school blogs on Econ on your school website. Do work ep at Bank Of England, or Financial Times or a bank or something??

I wish you best of luck.

Nida :smile:
You can start up your own blog and write articles relating to economics, work experience at banks if you can get it, reading economics related books and magazines (e.g. Economist) and listening to podcasts
Reply 5
Original post by bonana567
Hi everyone, I plan to apply to my chosen universities next year however I am slightly worried about my extra curricular activities, I do a lot of sport and this is not related much to economics. If anyone knows any successful Economics applicants could you please share what extra curricular activites they take part in as it is really worrying me that mine are not relevant which may show a lack of interest in the subject etc. Thanks

Hi there,

This is just a suggestion, but if you want to contribute to this new economics website I recently built http://www.petragrade.com perhaps by writing a few revision notes, I would be happy to list you as an editor.

Let me know if you're interested :smile:
Original post by BC95
Hi there,

This is just a suggestion, but if you want to contribute to this new economics website I recently built http://www.petragrade.com perhaps by writing a few revision notes, I would be happy to list you as an editor.

Let me know if you're interested :smile:

count me in!
Reply 7
Original post by gozzabomb
count me in!

Brilliant! I will PM you soon with more info :smile:
is this too late to be interested? I'm in year 13 applying for economics, I have year 12 revision notes which got me an A

Quick Reply