The Student Room Group

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am. However the fact he smokes causes a lot of problems in our relationship. . .
Reply 41
Yes, if we lived together I'd make them do it outside though.
Original post by emilina
I am. However the fact he smokes causes a lot of problems in our relationship. . .

How ?
if you dont mind me asking of course
Reply 43

Yeah probably...
I would but he would have to smoke outside or out the window.
Reply 45
No, I've got a life, you see.
Even though beggars can't be choosers, no I would not because they stink.
Reply 47
I really couldn't, it makes me feel physically ill.
Yes, but I'd urge her to quit, like I'm doing now to limited success.
no.
Reply 50
nah, deffo not.
Reply 51
Original post by joemullally
How ?
if you dont mind me asking of course

It messes with my asthma :frown:. I was having asthma attacks frequently when usually my asthma is pretty mild. . .

He's eased up on it recently but it used to really interfere with absolutely everything :s-smilie: He always had to have one before going anywhere, so we'd get up to leave, then I'd have to wait for five-10 mins while he had one, the same when we got anywhere, we'd always have to go to the shops when he'd run out, he stank to high heaven, and so did all his clothes, he never had any money for anything coz it all went on fags. . . .

smoking's not good :frown:
Reply 52
I don't know to be honest but all I know is that the smell of smoke makes me sick and light headed...........Maybe as long as he doesn't smoke anywhere near me.
Reply 53
yeh, wouldn't bother me.
i can think of way way worse things a person can do than smoke tbh!
wouldn't pressure them to give up either, it's not my place to go around preaching and trying to change other people.
i'd probably ask them to smoke outside though cos the smell does literally get in everything, and as somebody who used to be a smoker i'm maybe more open to it than people who are very anti smoking.
Reply 54
I love how the people that say yes give decent, well thought out reasons why, while most of the people saying no have no reason whatsoever. What's so off putting?
The smell, like every other smell in existence ever, is not an issue, as if you're around them for over 15 minutes, you ignore it. The taste when kissing, I can't comment on, but I'm sure you'd get used to that as well, and the health risks for smoking are so over-blown it's insane. A couple of fags a day isn't going to give you terminal lung cancer. 5 packets a day will. Sure, it lowers your life expectancy a little, and it's a higher risk of cancer, but so does living in a city. You wouldn't not date some because they don't live in the country, would you?
There's a million and one ways that increase your risk of cancer - eating too much, drinking too much, just generally anything in excess can cause you cancer. Light smokers don't have to worry about all that 99% of the time. Sure, they may get cancer, but so do plenty of perfectly healthy people too.
I say all this as a non-smoker. I smoked for a year, and only quit because I cba to smoke any more.
Never.
Reply 56
No.
Reply 57
no, really dislike the smell
Reply 58
I would, it's weird but I like the smell :colondollar:
In short: Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending