Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm very skinny and underweight. I've always been semi-interested in rugby. If I do start to play I would want to play winger. I like rugby because well I like the aggression you don't get in other sports. I don't think I'll be good enough as my school team is amazing. I just want to play at school level. So I was thinking of going to the gym and start to play rugby should I? Advice? Tips?

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

Watch as much as you can, internationals/premiership/your local club.

I'd recommend going to your local club. They accept all new players and you'll get a chance of some game time before you try and play for your school.

ReputationRep:
    If you like the sport, then you should play. Get training! Speed, strength and endurance.

ReputationRep:
    Size matters much less than people think in rugby though id reccommend trying to move to scrum half if youre really small after youve built up your skills and can think properly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah go for it. Worst that can happen is you find out that it's not for you, but even then at least you will have had a go. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    You could always ask the coach if you can train with the team I plan on doing that. As for fitness and getting your strength up just go to the gym every so often, I'm 5'10 and about 10 stones but it didn't stop me from playing rugby for my school team.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes and only yes. Bulk up if you're that worried about your weight and being trampled. And you shouldn't worry about being good enough or any of that shizz. If you never start, you'll never be good. Nobody starts out as an expert and that holds true for pretty much every sport.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well. I wish I had the willpower to do more exercise and do a sport.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! I really enjoyed playing... (Ok so I only do it once in a while now)

Size doesn't matter - in my old team one of the best players (and a very strong tackler) you could pick up with one arm...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, give it a go. I play weekly for my side (And played through school/youth/uni teams) despite being only 11 stone and 6' 1''...

ReputationRep:
    Learn the rules and just jump in. Your weight/size isn't as important as you may think. Im incredibly light, but im told im quite capable.

ReputationRep:
    yes :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Rugby is awesome, but to play at a competitive level you do need to have the physical size.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.