Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to connect 2 computers to one connection Watch

ReputationRep:
    My "friend" lives in halls and when I'm visiting him we'd like to both be able to use our laptops at the same time. However he checked the t&c of his halls and they say switches & routers are not allowed. I am enquiring, on his behalf of course, whether there is any other way?

Bridge connections then 'share my connection' with a ethernet cable?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      Bridge connections?
      Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b and don't understand?

I found this:
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...eral-computers

But I don't want him to get banned from his halls internet, and also can't see how to connect the host computer to the other one.

(Original post by White Trash)
        Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b and don't understand?

I found this:
        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...eral-computers

But I don't want him to get banned from his halls internet, and also can't see how to connect the host computer to the other one.
        Is the internet wireless?

ReputationRep:
        Is the internet wireless?
        No :p: That would make things a lot easier. I looked on my computer and asked him and can't see how to connect one to the other.

No :p: That would make things a lot easier. I looked on my computer and asked him and can't see how to connect one to the other.
          If you had an ethernet cable from his laptop to yours and if he then, in Network Options, clicked 'Share this connection'. That should work.

I did this years ago though. Things may have changed. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
          If you had an ethernet cable from his laptop to yours and if he then, in Network Options, clicked 'Share this connection'. That should work.

I did this years ago though. Things may have changed. :ninja:
          Yes, I found the share connection option in windows, but I mean the actual physical connection, how do I plug it in? My computer only has 1 ethernet port, so does his. The windows site doesn't explain this either. :confused:

Yes, I found the share connection option in windows, but I mean the actual physical connection, how do I plug it in? My computer only has 1 ethernet port, so does his. The windows site doesn't explain this either. :confused:
            Ah :holmes:

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5D5050.../dp/B000062R4P ?

Although I guess hardware like that is similar to a switch and therefore against the T&C of the university.

Best option is probably just a broadband USB dongle from Orange or o2.

ReputationRep:
              If both computers have wireless cards you should be able to share the connection over wifi.

(Original post by somebody else)
                If both computers have wireless cards you should be able to share the connection over wifi.
                Read the damn thread.

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by somebody else)
                I just managed to do this. Shared my connection then created a wireless network.

Would it be discoverable in any way?

ReputationRep:
                I just managed to do this. Shared my connection then created a wireless network.

Anyone else with a wireless card (i.e. a laptop) will be able to see it. Nobody else will be able to connect though (assuming you put some kind of encryption on (WPA by preference)).

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Chrosson)
                Anyone else with a wireless card (i.e. a laptop) will be able to see it. Nobody else will be able to connect though (assuming you put some kind of encryption on (WPA by preference)).
                Lol, sorry I should have explained. I know other people can see it like that, I meant would the administrators be able to detect it?

ReputationRep:
                Lol, sorry I should have explained. I know other people can see it like that, I meant would the administrators be able to detect it?
                It really depends how committed they are to their job and what inspection software they have.
                The short answer is yes, they can detect it if they wanted to.

However, if the policy is specific about routers and switches (and makes no mention of a general case of allowing a connection through an intermediary device), then it doesn't matter - you're within the terms of use.
                Why not just go and see the administrators and see what they say if it's only for a short period of time?

ReputationRep:

It's discoverable in the sense that people can see the network, but to the casual observer it could be any old wifi network. If they're looking, the people managing the network will be able to tell, yes. Whether that's a problem depends on exactly what the rules forbid, which you should probably find out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
              Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.