Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

academic stress/procrastination Watch

This has been a very serious problem for me in my life. I've haven't done well in my academic career(all B's at GCSE's and ABB at A level) but it hasnt been done to my abilty. It has been down to the incredible stress that I feel when exam time comes around. If I have an essay to do and its the day before or even hours I will just give up and listen to music and then submit work which I didnt give my best effort to. Can anyone give me some advice? I have coasted through my acadmemic career but now I'm in my second year, Im striving for a First and I know this will not happen unless I deal with my problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This has been a very serious problem for me in my life. I've haven't done well in my academic career(all B's at GCSE's and ABB at A level) but it hasnt been done to my abilty. It has been down to the incredible stress that I feel when exam time comes around. If I have an essay to do and its the day before or even hours I will just give up and listen to music and then submit work which I didnt give my best effort to. Can anyone give me some advice? I have coasted through my acadmemic career but now I'm in my second year, Im striving for a First and I know this will not happen unless I deal with my problem.

Can't really give you any advice, I always had the same problem - except I was a perfectionist and put off doing the work because it made me stressed because I didn't think I could do it, and believed that if I did it wouldn't be good enough.

The stress used to make me really ill, especially with coursework, and triggered severe depression which lasted for months. My Uni years therefore weren't the happiest of my life in some ways, and I wish I had a solution because years later it is still the same. I had a particular problem with coursework - for me, exams weren't so bad because Im good at memorising stuff, and I knew the exam would only last a couple of hours and then be over. Coursework just spread the stress until it near killed me. All I could do was start well in advance and do lots of prep work. Plus, you have to remember you are doing it for yourself and no one else, and there isn't anyone else who is going to look out for you.

I talked to my tutors, I ended up getting a later handing in date for my dissertation, with a doctor's note, but I still managed to get a 1st so it can happen

ReputationRep:
    Persistance, motivation, end-goal visualisation blah de blah. You get the idea.

I'm just wondering how you can think ABB at A level isn't a decent result :lolwut: You can get into some decent universities with those grades.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.