Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    i got a few questions about part time jobs in the uk.

1)how many hours a day and how many days a week do you work if you have a part time job?

2)do people who have a part time job usually work in the morning or in the afternoon?

3)is it easy to get a part time job in the uk?i mean,are they common?because in italy,where im from, they are quite rare and its hard to get one

4)is basically any kind of job offered as a part time job,or you can get a part time job only in some specific fields?if the second one is the right one,which are these specific fields?

5)are people who have a part time job usually employed on a fixed term contract or a permanent contract?

thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    1)how many hours a day and how many days a week do you work if you have a part time job?
    I am contracted to 12 hours a week. I am offered overtime every week though - some weeks I have done 19 hours, others 29 hours(!).

2)do people who have a part time job usually work in the morning or in the afternoon?

It depends on the store.
    In my first part time job [working 18 hours a week] I worked just two days a week and did full days. I found this fitted in best with college.
    In my current part time job [12 hours a week], I work one evening and one afternoon/evening. Other people have shifts in the morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening etc - there is the full range available.

3)is it easy to get a part time job in the uk?i mean,are they common?because in italy,where im from, they are quite rare and its hard to get one

They are very common, especially in sectors like retail. In fact, in some areas it seems hard to find full time jobs. Eg, supermarket work.

4)is basically any kind of job offered as a part time job,or you can get a part time job only in some specific fields?if the second one is the right one,which are these specific fields?
    Again, it depends on the company etc. Part time work is available in most retail places, offices and so forth. You can even gain part time work as a teacher etc through job shares and supply work.

5)are people who have a part time job usually employed on a fixed term contract or a permanent contract?
    Depends on the company. In my job at the moment, just over half the part time staff seem to be on temporary contracts, as the company want the flexibility to let people go after Christmas should they need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I am contracted to 12 hours a week. I am offered overtime every week though - some weeks I have done 19 hours, others 29 hours(!).

It depends on the store.
    In my first part time job [working 18 hours a week] I worked just two days a week and did full days. I found this fitted in best with college.
    In my current part time job [12 hours a week], I work one evening and one afternoon/evening. Other people have shifts in the morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening etc - there is the full range available.

They are very common, especially in sectors like retail. In fact, in some areas it seems hard to find full time jobs. Eg, supermarket work.

Again, it depends on the company etc. Part time work is available in most retail places, offices and so forth. You can even gain part time work as a teacher etc through job shares and supply work.

Depends on the company. In my job at the moment, just over half the part time staff seem to be on temporary contracts, as the company want the flexibility to let people go after Christmas should they need to.
    thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Over summer i was working 30+ hours and working about 4-5 days a week

My shifts changed, sometimes i was in at 9am, other times i was working till 3am

Its fairly easy, I guess it depends on the type of job your going for, I worked at a cinema and it was pretty easy to get that job!

You can work part time in a lot of places (im assuming)

thats subjective, I work temporarily

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.