Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, it pisses me off
    The signal bars range from one to five, and usually it sits quite content at 3.
    Sometimes though, it slips down to two, sometimes one, or just disappears completely thus disconnecting me from the Internet.

My laptop resides in my room (upstairs) but the router is downstairs (not directly below me, but not very far away).

While it's working it says "Access: Local and Internet", which means it's working fine. Sometimes it says "Local Only" (no idea what that means [so any help would be appreciated] but it has the same effect as me being disconnected from what I can gather).

I've had my laptop for 2 years (maybe 3, can't remember) and it's a Toshiba (though I couldn't tell you specifically what make).
    We're on the Sky network, if that information helps.

I also really don't want to splash out on a signal booster given that they're never guaranteed to work.

Any ideas why the signal gets so **** sometimes?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Don't know, but normally turning the modem/router off and back on normally works if the internet is local only.

ReputationRep:
    Could be a number of things causing interference. Someone using a microwave, Cordless phones etc. or even just having a door left open or where someone sits.

If you sit in the same room as the router does it stay connected?

The best way to make sure it stays connected is to by an ethernet cable and use that.

ReputationRep:
    There could be inteference. I'd mess about with the settings on the router (different broadcast channels for example). I find that some give much better connections that others.

ReputationRep:
    this used to happen to me when i used wireless, i just turned the router off and on again for a short fix but in the end it kept getting more frequent so i brought a ethernet powerline adapter which works a treat, it cost me £60 for a twin pack. this may be a bit drastic for your situation but it has helped me out loads

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.