Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    where does this all end?...what do these women or men actually want?...

based on intelligence and individuality i would regard men and women as equal in society, i would not value one higher than the other on those basis.

but people who demand equality between men and women have to understand a few things before they say it?...

men and women are different, that is a fact. men and women are physically different from each other, its obvious, men have penis, women have vag, women have breasts, men dont (well, functional breasts that is lol)...furthermore, men and women's systems are wired very differently...most importantly, women can give birth to babies, men cant. women have periods per month, men dont. so there is a clear difference between a man and a woman...if the machine is different, should the function also be different?...

in most sport, men and women are not equal to each other because obviously men, in general, are stronger and have more muscle than men, which would give them an unfair advantage - so this is somewhere men cannot be equal to women, ever. but it does raise a slight point, sports which are more mentally demanding than physically still seem to seperate men and women, is that right?...

another popular key area in this subject is women at work. firstly women get treated like objects at work, get wolf whistled, get flirted on etc etc, that is societies fault, not business...e.g. a hot girl walks past a building site full of men in tight clothing, chances are, she is gonna get some attention lol, it happens.

but the primary objective in business is to make money, and the secondary object is to find ways of making more money. now take a person who is in a high pressure job at a top company in the city of london, who needs to be at their desk by 8 am everyday, who is absolutely essential to the running of the company, who is very important. if it is a woman in that position, and if she does get pregnent, then the company will need to pay for her maternity leave, then bring someone in, it will cost the company time and money to train them, and then pay the new person a salary whilst also paying for the woman's maternity leave - this is contradiction to original business objective, as this proposal would make more monetery loss than if a man were in the position.

sir alan sugar, succesful business man and boss of tv show apprentice uk, also shares this opinion, in an interview on this subject, he said he feels he has a right to ask a women who he may employ about her plans to have children. The (female) interviewer i remember was quite offended by this statement by sir alan sugar but i would have to agree with sir alan here, because it makes business sense. alot of business is about cost cutting, efficiency and accountants always look for more efficient ways to cost cut, for some accountants its their actual job.

i dont know exactly, but their is a statistic that something like 93% of the top jobs in city of london are held by men. also in the same show where they showed this male doctor, he was some sort of brain neuroscience something (you can tell medicene is not my field lol), but his job required many many long hours per week. and there was a young female junior nurse, and another older female there, they were both asked would they want to do the job hes doing. the older female said yes, the junior said no, when asked why, the junior female said its because she wanted kids.

i do believe men and women are equally good at most jobs (i.e non physicall)...some of the most intelligent people on my course are girls...

to be honest i dont really understand the word sexism. while above i have stated mostly facts, there are patterns which you notice in life which can add to it. e.g. girls, in general, are more interested in shopping and shoes, whilst boys, again in general, are interested in games. if a girl dresses up for a night out, and a guy comes up and says 'lookin fyn honey' - is that guy a sexist for looking at a woman's body in that way or is he just being what i would call, a human being?...

yeah long read sorry, im sure theres more i want to say, but i cant think right now. but main point, men and women are scientifically, physically, builogically different from each other, so how can there exist an exact thing called equality between men and women?...

ReputationRep:
    I believe the genders are equal. We each have our own things. Us men have remotes and couches, women have dishes and irons...
    (meant in the lightest way possible, just a lighthearted joke, please don't take offence anyone ).

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the effort but you haven't said anything controversial or unheard of; we know this already. It is still better to live in a fully functional society than one with half the output.

ReputationRep:
    This is a mans world.....

ReputationRep:
    Comparing men and women like this will not lead to anything productive or any new philosophical insights into gender differences.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    exactly...then what is the definition of equality between men and women, i have highlighted the differences, there are elements which raise contradiction to this...

the women (and men) who are fighting for equality, they will be happy when what is achieved?...

and sorry about my spelling, I cant spell i know. im a maths student, not english, its not a decent enough excuse i know but i dont really care. punctuation and spelling is what microsoft word was designed for...

ReputationRep:
    hmm all i can say is i have realised that as male and female associated things start mixing e.g. womens thing to wear skirts and mens thing to work in construction and suddenly men and women wear skirts and work in construction sites it makes you feel less of that gender so i wont feel very femany when i were skirts instead feel without gender and it confuses me. and i like feeling womany. I like some divide i guess as it makes you feel special somehow, i am not saying that male should be more powerful but hmm i dont know i am just a passer by passing by this thread.

I dont want to alarm anyone and not promoting my religion but i am just commenting that there are some good things in the Koran if anyone is interested you dont have to convert obviously but instead maybe treat it as someone elses an opinion or what it should be like? I dunno i just think maybe looking to it would be interesting, i have the christain bible at home and read it to get some ideas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.