Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

So i'm doing electronic engineering at uni and i recently found out that we get free software from microsoft via some MSDN thing. Now i went to our IT department and the guy gave me an agreement to signup to. In addition, he said that i need to send him an email saying what software i need and why i need it. Now... we will be learning object oriented programming next term but i would love to have office 2010 and windows 7. What can write as the reason why i need these softwares?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    Hi guys

So i'm doing electronic engineering at uni and i recently found out that we get free software from microsoft via some MSDN thing. Now i went to our IT department and the guy gave me an agreement to signup to. In addition, he said that i need to send him an email saying what software i need and why i need it. Now... we will be learning object oriented programming next term but i would love to have office 2010 and windows 7. What can write as the reason why i need these softwares?

Thanks!
    Need native OS environment to work in, allowing you to utilise the OOP to its full effect. Office suite needed for various documentation required during projects.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Thanks!
    What office software and operating system do you have at present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Need native OS environment to work in, allowing you to utilise the OOP to its full effect. Office suite needed for various documentation required during projects.
    Awesome! What other software can you get mate just outa interest (or what would u recommend)? Coz the guy wouldnt give me a full list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    What office software and operating system do you have at present?

Vista and office 2007

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! What other software can you get mate just outa interest (or what would u recommend)? Coz the guy wouldnt give me a full list?
    Uh.. Well, you might be able to get to some other programming suites with it. But nothing like games or anything like that. You'd have to either buy or steal that.

ReputationRep:
    Vista and office 2007
    Then you're out of luck. Vista can run pretty much everything win7 can, and office10 has no new killer feature I've heard of over office07.
    There is not possible justification unless the guy is incredibly gullible.
    I suggest you just deal with the cards you've been dealt.

ReputationRep:
    Uh.. Well, you might be able to get to some other programming suites with it. But nothing like games or anything like that. You'd have to either buy or steal that.
    Could you temme what they are please (the other programming suites). Would they be helpful for OOP?

ReputationRep:
    Could you temme what they are please (the other programming suites). Would they be helpful for OOP?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSDN_Academic_Alliance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Then you're out of luck. Vista can run pretty much everything win7 can, and office10 has no new killer feature I've heard of over office07.
    There is not possible justification unless the guy is incredibly gullible.
    I suggest you just deal with the cards you've been dealt.

Aah i've got windows xp with office 2003 then

ReputationRep:
    you should be able to login through your departments elms page and have access to everything providing your department is signed up to the scheme.

failing that you should be able to access dreamspark for some stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Haha did the trick mate! Got access to s**t loads of pricey software. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Haha did the trick mate! Got access to s**t loads of pricey software. Thanks!
    No problem my friend. I hope you enjoy it all.

You don't get Office free from MSDNAA, you get a student discount from Microsoft on the Internet - I think you pay £40 or so.

I'd recommend you get Visual Studio to play with (seeing as it's free) - what languages are you doing?

And the school/college or whatever shouldn't be doing it that way. They're supposed to make the software downloadable via their network; our college just has a big download page.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      You don't get Office free from MSDNAA, you get a student discount from Microsoft on the Internet - I think you pay £40 or so.

I'd recommend you get Visual Studio to play with (seeing as it's free) - what languages are you doing?

And the school/college or whatever shouldn't be doing it that way. They're supposed to make the software downloadable via their network; our college just has a big download page.
      It's not me that needs the software my friend. I was suggesting an excuse to get a free OS from the school.

It's not me that needs the software my friend. I was suggesting an excuse to get a free OS from the school.
        I know it wasn't you, but there was a reason why I quoted you and not the OP.

But I can't for the life of me remember

ReputationRep:
        I know it wasn't you, but there was a reason why I quoted you and not the OP.

But I can't for the life of me remember
        That's ok! :gah:

That's ok! :gah:
          Aah, right, now I've looked back, I see. I think I quoted you because you mentioned OOP, and I wanted to recommend Visual Studio, in which all the languages are OO, and because VS is pretty much expected nowadays.

ReputationRep:
          Aah, right, now I've looked back, I see. I think I quoted you because you mentioned OOP, and I wanted to recommend Visual Studio, in which all the languages are OO, and because VS is pretty much expected nowadays.
          It sure is. However, I'd recommend going through some form of C first, simply because it's more powerful. Then you can 'translate' it to any other format after that. I take your point though, OOP is best done in its native environment and one of the best for that is VS.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.