Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I need to choose a back up uni and narrowed my choices down to these two.
    Ok, so at first glance most of you would probably say oxford brookes and I would to as it's higher ranked for an accounting course than middlesex. But, the dilemma is that I live in central london and planning to stay at home whilst studying.

The entry requirements for both Unis are more or less then same, only about 40 points difference? but oxford brookes is much further away.

So my question is, what would you do if you were in my situation? :/

Would you chose the higher ranked Uni and travel further or settle for the lower ranked Uni and not have to travel far?

Thanks for taking time to read this

ReputationRep:
    I'd take Middlesex; I don't think they're that different to make the distance worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I'd take Middlesex; I don't think they're that different to make the distance worth it.
    I would totally chose middlesex if it was just a distance thing. But I need to take into consideration the ranks aswell.
    According to the league table, oxford brookes is ranked 50th whereas middlesex is 97th.
    And looking at the league table for subjects, Oxford brookes is at 34th and middlesex is 77th for accounting&finance.
    So there is a big gap between the ranks. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.Amy)
    I would totally chose middlesex if it was just a distance thing. But I need to take into consideration the ranks aswell.
    According to the league table, oxford brookes is ranked 50th whereas middlesex is 97th.
    And looking at the league table for subjects, Oxford brookes is at 34th and middlesex is 77th for accounting&finance.
    So there is a big gap between the ranks. :/
    Look at a different league table, and it'll be different again, plus they'll take things into consideration that won't matter to you - value added, research quality, etc.

The rankings in a league table really aren't of much worth.

London or Oxford, which do you prefer?

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for your recommendations. I have decided to choose Middlesex Uni

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.