Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bodybuilding splits, absolute waste of time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing BB splits for quite some time now. Essentially splitting the week into five sessions of back, arms, legs, chest and shoulders. However recently I decided to forgo alot of the isolation exercises in order to focus on compounds. I often do bench, squat and deads twice a week. Since doing this my bench has increased, my squat is closing in on 700lbs and my deadlift has gone back up to what it was when I was cycling.

Just wanna ask anyone if they prefer doing fullbody/PL/Oly type training rather than splitting bodyparts. Beginning to think the whole thing is just another weider sham

ReputationRep:
    If I do full body its ok, but when I do a split, I really feel it in that body part the next day and I know I have to hit that body part hard when I gym because if I don't I won't be training it for another 7 days, my compounds are always increasing as I try it with at least an extra 2.5 kg every fortnight and try my best to push through it

(5 months lifting)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    If I do full body its ok, but when I do a split, I really feel it in that body part the next day and I know I have to hit that body part hard when I gym because if I don't I won't be training it for another 7 days, my compounds are always increasing as I try it with at least an extra 2.5 kg every fortnight and try my best to push through it

(5 months lifting)
    These are the early stages, as long as you're lifting heavy and eating right your strength and muscular gains should be coming along just fine without following any particular methodology.

ReputationRep:
    Is there actually anyone here whose opinion you care about that even does/has done bodybuilding routines?

ReputationRep:
    Atm, as a noob I'm focusing on compounds. Need to build strength and mass but then in a years time when I'm big/strong enough, I will start throwing in splits as I'm more into bodybuilding than PL. I don't know if I have the right thoughts on this though, maybe you could advise me?

ReputationRep:
    Bish, I prefer multi lifting session where certain muscles are hit 2 or more times a week, it is most deffinately far superior for strength gains.

I suppose the interestiong question would be if you were to do this for say 6 months, then a 6 month split would the additional strength on the 6 month split equal or be less/greater for hypertrophy than performing 12 months of a split?

I think it would be superior (only based in bro science) and far better for sanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Is there actually anyone here whose opinion you care about that even does/has done bodybuilding routines?
    Well yours and matts (doubt has done bb splits) and I couple of others whose names escape me. I think its more of a forewarning for people not to get hung up on them.

(Original post by Bishamon)
      I've been doing BB splits for quite some time now. Essentially splitting the week into five sessions of back, arms, legs, chest and shoulders. However recently I decided to forgo alot of the isolation exercises in order to focus on compounds. I often do bench, squat and deads twice a week. Since doing this my bench has increased, my squat is closing in on 700lbs and my deadlift has gone back up to what it was when I was cycling.

Just wanna ask anyone if they prefer doing fullbody/PL/Oly type training rather than splitting bodyparts. Beginning to think the whole thing is just another weider sham
      Theres a place for both imo

But the thing I hate is when you get all the beginners straight into the gym going onto splits, when they could make so much more progress on another type of program

Seriously 99% of people I see in the gym perform a standard split, and most of those look exactly the same year after year

Now I'm not big, but when I wear a vest in the gym and get the body semi on show I often get comments from people in school with me who say things like "you keep on growing" "bigger everytime I see you" etc etc - now these guys have been training the same time as me, since sixth form - yet most of them look pretty much exactly the same. The difference between us is I have never done a bodybuilding split (well I did for the first year, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing) - I have always done upper lower, powerlifting routines, strength routines

As I said I think there is a time to do a split, but thats when you've already got a decent amount of mass and strength. The people I see start on splits get nowhere, or make very little progress.

You're probably gaining so well because as you said, you've been doing splits for years and now changed to something completely different. When you stop gaining and go to another type of training, you'll probably gain really well there too

ReputationRep:
      Well I was in the Scotland U17 squad for rugby a few years back, and all our weights programs gave a full body work-out, 3 times a week... at one point we were doing these 'circuits' of 2 reps of 3 different compound exercises, which one had to repeat as many times as possible in 2 mins. It was bare cardio as well as strength brah.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      Well I was in the Scotland U17 squad for rugby a few years back, and all our weights programs gave a full body work-out, 3 times a week... at one point we were doing these 'circuits' of 2 reps of 3 different compound exercises, which one had to repeat as many times as possible in 2 mins. It was bare cardio as well as strength brah.
      That is pretty much entirely cardio (the circuits) and not strength based at all

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by commandant)
      Theres a place for both imo

But the thing I hate is when you get all the beginners straight into the gym going onto splits, when they could make so much more progress on another type of program

Seriously 99% of people I see in the gym perform a standard split, and most of those look exactly the same year after year

Now I'm not big, but when I wear a vest in the gym and get the body semi on show I often get comments from people in school with me who say things like "you keep on growing" "bigger everytime I see you" etc etc - now these guys have been training the same time as me, since sixth form - yet most of them look pretty much exactly the same. The difference between us is I have never done a bodybuilding split (well I did for the first year, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing) - I have always done upper lower, powerlifting routines, strength routines

As I said I think there is a time to do a split, but thats when you've already got a decent amount of mass and strength. The people I see start on splits get nowhere, or make very little progress.

You're probably gaining so well because as you said, you've been doing splits for years and now changed to something completely different. When you stop gaining and go to another type of training, you'll probably gain really well there too
      This is true. But the thing is, most of these people don't have the diet anywhere close to right, and aren't doing the routine as they should be or working hard enough at it.

What I mean is, I think bodybuilding splits attract far more casual gym-goers who are likely to put in no effort and end up going nowhere. I know tons of people like this at my gym. And a much higher percentage of those who train PL or Oly style actually have the right work ethic and bother with the right diet, which makes it appear that their methods are better, you get me?

Because I do know enough guys that only ever bench and then do tons of lateral raises and curls and other bull**** that are pretty big.

But having said all that, I still believe that simple strength-based routines are better for noobs. Partly because noobs are so stupid and need something simple, and partly because I've never done a bb split and despite everything I've just said I still think performing compounds gives a better basis for growth.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bishamon)
      Well yours and matts (doubt has done bb splits) and I couple of others whose names escape me. I think its more of a forewarning for people not to get hung up on them.
      Oh bbz you're making me blush. Anyway fair play. I've never done a bb split either but I've come closer than matt ever has.

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
        This is true. But the thing is, most of these people don't have the diet anywhere close to right, and aren't doing the routine as they should be or working hard enough at it.

What I mean is, I think bodybuilding splits attract far more casual gym-goers who are likely to put in no effort and end up going nowhere. I know tons of people like this at my gym. And a much higher percentage of those who train PL or Oly style actually have the right work ethic and bother with the right diet, which makes it appear that their methods are better, you get me?

Because I do know enough guys that only ever bench and then do tons of lateral raises and curls and other bull**** that are pretty big.

But having said all that, I still believe that simple strength-based routines are better for noobs. Partly because noobs are so stupid and need something simple, and partly because I've never done a bb split and despite everything I've just said I still think performing compounds gives a better basis for growth.
        Very true, I know my diet is pretty decent, and I do not binge drink like I see most of these guys doing!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by MattGriff)
        That is pretty much entirely cardio (the circuits) and not strength based at all
        It was in addition to standard exercises of course, I merely made it as a point of interest.

ReputationRep:
        I don't think the distinction is what it's made out to be. If you do 531 with all four exercises, boring but big assistance with a few pullups on deadlift day, you essentially have what a bodybuilder might call a four-day split of shoulders/legs/back/chest. On the other hand you can do a "full body" workout by doing curls, cable rows lateral raises, flies and leg press on Monday, pushdowns, leg curls, lat pulldowns and leg extensions on Wednesday and some other *******s on Friday (couldn't be arsed to think of more exercises but you get the idea). Which would be more effective? I think that for strength (don't know much about size except that it's strongly related to strength) the important thing is doing the right exercises with the right technique, frequently enough and hard enough with enough recovery. How you want to arrange them into a split or full body is really tinkering around the edges of your program. Now, for someone like you there is nothing wrong with tinkering around the outside because you have the basics down, but they are individual questions and you seem to have a good idea of what works for you. For most people they need to focus on the more important things before they worry about whether they should train their shoulders after squats or after bench presses or whatever.

Basically if you have to ask you have more important things to worry about. That's my opinion.

ReputationRep:
        I don't like body part splits.

I like full body, upper / lower, pressing - pulling and working off planes.

Isolation here and there but Compounds, all the way. Progresing with heavy loads like 10kg or 15kg at a time... not 2.5kg.

another thing I prefer about hitting a bodypart multiple times a week

if you're doing legs say once per week, you'll be doing it 52 times a year

twice a week - 104 times a year, 3 times a week - 156

Now obviously you can't go balls to walls 3 times a week, but even a recovery session is stimulating the bodypart. I'd rather hit my legs, in some form, 156 times a year than 52 times

(I got this argument from DC, never really thought about it before!)

ReputationRep:
          I agree entirely with Burningnun.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Different Cloud)
          I don't like body part splits.

I like full body, upper / lower, pressing - pulling and working off planes.

Isolation here and there but Compounds, all the way. Progresing with heavy loads like 10kg or 15kg at a time... not 2.5kg.
          That works well when you first start, like when I started 3 years ago I was benching a measly 30KG over the first 4 months I progressed to 50-60KG (doing reps mostly because of the balance issue) the same happened with squats I started just doing 40KG over the first 4 months it increased to 100KG after that period then the increase dropped very quickly to maybe only being able to add an extra 5-10kg a week maximum and on average probably just 2.5kg especially now when I bench it's a much lower increase and I tend to increase month by month rather than week by week now.

ReputationRep:
          Split's just encourage people to do the "trophy" lifts, like bicep curls or something. They encourage people to throw in crappy exercises that do **** all.

All the compounds, 3 times a week. Sorted!

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.