Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Linking between the factors" History, AS Level. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on doing this well? I completley suck at linking factors, and it is doing my noggin in.

ReputationRep:
    Just look at how things are inter-related, its hard to explain but for example I had to do an essay (for a2) about why the Soiviet Union won the war against Germany and so if I was arguing that this happened because of Stalin's leadership, then everything can be related back to him, like tactics, army, propaganda etc. It helps if you make a list of factors and then just see which can be affected by others if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Is this for the sources?

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA History, The Church in England:The Struggle for Supremacy (Henry VIII) and Absolutist States: The Reign of Louis XIV, 1661–1715. Henry VIII was the source paper.

"Use Sources A, B and C and your own knowledge.
    How far was the legislation which created the royal supremacy motivated by a desire to reform religion? (24 marks)"

Lets take the above question. There are two types of question, the above would require a THEMATIC approach. I would start with explaining how the legislation was motivated by religion and writing a paragraph on this.

Then move on," however there were other factors that influenced the legislation...".
    I would then write about 3 other factors before coming to a conclusion and stating that maybe these other factors had more/less/the same amount of influence on motivations. All the way through you must quote from the sources. However integrate the quotes into your sentence, as if they are a part of your sentence.

"‘Henry VIII’s foreign policy in the 1540s was a complete failure.’
    Explain why you agree or disagree with this view. (24 marks)"

The second way to approach these is in a YES/NO way. Using this question above we can see how this works. First start with yes, and list the various factors, explaining how they back each other up, then move onto no. E.g Scotland succeses, Scottish faliures, French success, French faliure. Then conclude by weighing up all the factors together and saying whether it was a complete faliure or not.

This seccond question could also be approached thematically but you may move it to a tendency to narrate!

Most importantly remember to quote and try to integrate them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.