Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and am considering doing Chemistry at A level. I already know I want to do Biology and Maths but am worried I will find Chemisty too hard. In my Science GCSE in yr 10 I got an A* but am still not convinced. Is it really that hard at A level?

ReputationRep:
    * subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    Some people find it hard, some people don't.

I didn't :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Once you've mastered the basics (which some people find hard and immediately drop out as a result) it's actually easy to work from there, you reuse knowledge and get used to the questions and predict the outcomes - A2 is good in this sense.

So yeah, I'd recommend it - I love it. But then it depends on you more than anything, it'll either click with you or it wont.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy it do it It's not that difficult if you find it interesting

ReputationRep:
    Well I do it and to be honest it's the easiest subject I'm doing at the moment so go for it if you have the GCSE stuff nailed then it would be pretty easy. There are a few things that are hard at first but then it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    Accept that you are going to need to remember pretty much all of GCSE Chemistry, the biggest issues i've seen with A-level students is where their GCSE knowledge is borderline.

A-level is hard but fun. You get to play with stuff that you wouldn't get anywhere near at GCSE, and the concepts are much closer to the "true story" of how things work.

As mentioned by so many, enjoyment is key, if you enjoy it you will soldier through the hard bits and do well. If you dont you'll just slack off and do badly.

(Original post by gingerbreadman85)
      Accept that you are going to need to remember pretty much all of GCSE Chemistry, the biggest issues i've seen with A-level students is where their GCSE knowledge is borderline.
      This but this you can overcome. I'm living proof of that

I'd say if you're getting A*s in it that you have a good basic knowledge of chemical properties, it will all depend in your interest in the subject and how much work you are willing to put in. The latter is also driven by what you want to do after A levels.

It does take a lot of work, but what I found is that, like many other A levels, it is mainly learning thew content and then jumping through hoops in the exam to give the examiners what they want to read.

The overall work load in conjunction with biology and maths isn't as bad as you think; biology is a pure memory game IMO and maths takes practise but so long as you have good time management you will find you can juggle life with study with these quite well.

ReputationRep:
      i find it difficalt and i got an extreemly high A at gcse. im retaking (so now effectivly in year 14 -sighs-) and im still struggling even though ive done it already. not trying to put you off. it is fun but extreemly hard if you dont grasp it from the first go

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sp28)
      I'm in year 11 and am considering doing Chemistry at A level. I already know I want to do Biology and Maths but am worried I will find Chemisty too hard. In my Science GCSE in yr 10 I got an A* but am still not convinced. Is it really that hard at A level?
      Id say go for it. If you do 4 subjects then you can always drop chemistry after AS if you find it too hard.

ReputationRep:
      I need good grades at chemistry... Im resiting my AS and doing Alevel this year. Any tips and tricks to do better ??? Or some advise for help on the subject. Teachers at my school somehow are not as efficient...

ReputationRep:
      I didn't grasp it straight away, and therefore hated the two years. What you need to do is revise what you get taught straight away, such as moles equations- that way you wont strugle like I did

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.