Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are these 6000k or 8000k HIDs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because they look 6000k to me:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They are not HIDs, a Xenon bulb is in a projector casing, I cannot see one there. Thus they are illegal and dazzling for other road users.

They are halogen bulbs made to look like HIDs.

And your main beam doesn't look very legal either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    They are not HIDs, a Xenon bulb is in a projector casing, I cannot see one there. Thus they are illegal and dazzling for other road users.

They are halogen bulbs made to look like HIDs.

And your main beam doesn't look very legal either.

Lol i knew i asked the wrong forum

ReputationRep:
    Huh? How the flying **** are we supposed to be able to tell the difference between colour grades?! My Xenons are 4500K and yours do look whiter but I would have no idea if they were 8000K white or 6000K white.

What I do know is that you have to have a proper headlight to use HID with a projector casing and headlight washers. You have none of those things and thus they are illegal.

Just telling you like it is.

ReputationRep:
    Looks ****.

ReputationRep:
    After-market HID's are illegal unless fitted in headlight units specifically designed for their use (projector) and in combination with a self-levelling mechanism AND washer jets, and all components Πor British Standard Kite Marked. Testing of these will become part of the MOT in 2012, and Police and VOSA roadside checks will be able to issue rectification orders or seize offending cars, and possibly issue fines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    After-market HID's are illegal unless fitted in headlight units specifically designed for their use (projector) and in combination with a self-levelling mechanism AND washer jets, and all components Πor British Standard Kite Marked. Testing of these will become part of the MOT in 2012, and Police and VOSA roadside checks will be able to issue rectification orders or seize offending cars, and possibly issue fines.
    I knew all this.
    What i found funny was the other idiot claiming they are not HIDs.
    I guess the ballasts under the bonnet are filled with cheese then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I just get higher output bulbs such as Philips X-Treme's (+80%) or the new Ring Xenon Max (+100%). Road legal and much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    I knew all this.
    Let's be fair.

You didn't know all that.

ReputationRep:
    I knew all this.
    You have fitted HIDs into a standard headlight casing!?

Trust me, I will have the last laugh when your headlight melts.

ReputationRep:
    I just get higher output bulbs such as Philips X-Treme's (+80%) or the new Ring Xenon Max (+100%). Road legal and much cheaper.
    Had Philips Bluevision, were better than stock halogen but still too yellow for me.

(Original post by Friggerpants)
    Let's be fair.

You didn't know all that.
    of course i did, i did all the research first. But i still went ahead and bought the kit, was cheap anyway.

(Original post by gbduo)
    You have fitted HIDs into a standard headlight casing!?

Trust me, I will have the last laugh when your headlight melts.
    You will never have the last laugh as i highly doubt you even own a car, and if you do, it was probably made in the 20th century.
    Considering my HID kit is 35 watts, the bulbs themselves burn at a lower temp than the stock 55w halogens.
    Unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    Had Philips Bluevision, were better than stock halogen but still too yellow for me.

of course i did, i did all the research first. But i still went ahead and bought the kit, was cheap anyway.

You will never have the last laugh as i highly doubt you even own a car, and if you do, it was probably made in the 20th century.
    Considering my HID kit is 35 watts, the bulbs themselves burn at a lower temp than the stock 55w halogens.
    Unlucky.
    I have a Honda S2000 which has Xenons as standard with all the legal kit, and I have a Jaguar XJ8 V8. Both of which were made in the 21st Century.

You can clearly see that the diffused pattern is dazzling and from the picture looking forward covers far too much of the oncoming traffic because there is no projector. This is what the projector is for. You will and are dazzling oncoming traffic.

The kit was cheap because it is illegal and dangerous. The amount of numpties I see driving around with these HID kits without a projector/diffuser is ridiculous. As I am sat so low in the S2k I always seem to get the full brunt of these numpties, like you.

I would imagine that this would be a MOT fail.

And surely if you bought the kit, you would know if they were 6k or 8k?!

ReputationRep:
    See how I can stand off to the side and not get a dazzling glare pattern?

And then you go even closer, and still no glare, this is because the projector has made all the light go forward

This is the difference between headlights that are designed for and therefore legal to use HIDs and yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I have a Honda S2000 which has Xenons as standard with all the legal kit, and I have a Jaguar XJ8 V8. Both of which were made in the 21st Century.

You can clearly see that the diffused pattern is dazzling and from the picture looking forward covers far too much of the oncoming traffic because there is no projector. This is what the projector is for. You will and are dazzling oncoming traffic.

The kit was cheap because it is illegal and dangerous. The amount of numpties I see driving around with these HID kits without a projector/diffuser is ridiculous. As I am sat so low in the S2k I always seem to get the full brunt of these numpties, like you.

I would imagine that this would be a MOT fail.

And surely if you bought the kit, you would know if they were 6k or 8k?!
    That photo was taken with full beam on as well.
    The lights werent adjusted in that pic, they have since been dropped much lower to the point where they wouldnt blind oncoming drivers as they go no higher than the reg plate.
    Im sat low in my car compared to land rovers with HID kits fitted, when they drive up behind me it is blinding. Not a lot you can do except deal with it or by a car with a higher ride height.
    Ive not been flashed since the kit was installed and most of my driving is done at night.
    Apologises for the assumption though, but to be fair most the guys in this forum are 16/17/18 and are still learning to drive.
    Oh and they are 8000k, i always thought 8k would look slightly bluer though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    See how I can stand off to the side and not get a dazzling glare pattern?

And then you go even closer, and still no glare, this is because the projector has made all the light go forward

This is the difference between headlights that are designed for and therefore legal to use HIDs and yours.

Im also aware of projector headlights.
    But at the end of the day, mine arent blinding (else everyone would flash) and i can see much much better at night, which one day might even save someones life.

ReputationRep:
    That photo was taken with full beam on as well.
    The lights werent adjusted in that pic, they have since been dropped much lower to the point where they wouldnt blind oncoming drivers as they go no higher than the reg plate.
    Im sat low in my car compared to land rovers with HID kits fitted, when they drive up behind me it is blinding. Not a lot you can do except deal with it or by a car with a higher ride height.
    Ive not been flashed since the kit was installed and most of my driving is done at night.
    Apologises for the assumption though, but to be fair most the guys in this forum are 16/17/18 and are still learning to drive.
    Oh and they are 8000k, i always thought 8k would look slightly bluer though
    Ok, but you didn't say that in the OP, I am sorry for calling you a numpty, clearly you are not one of the people that just put HIDs in a car over the weekend and then not adjust them, dazzling everyone.

But I do think you should look into getting a projector casing at the very least, a knob at an MOT station could fail you for it and it is illegal, so a policeman could do you for it as well.

Unlikely though, given the amount of retards going round with the stupid fog lights/headlights out and the police do nothing, grrrrr

Sorry dazzling lights are a proper bug bear of mine. But I would recommend at least investigating a projector case, you might find the lights work better then they are focussed.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Im also aware of projector headlights.
    But at the end of the day, mine arent blinding (else everyone would flash) and i can see much much better at night, which one day might even save someones life.
    Aye, that is true, it is better to have two working headlights than the people who drive around with one or have their car lit up with like a xmas tree with their front fogs on, giving huge glare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Ok, but you didn't say that in the OP, I am sorry for calling you a numpty, clearly you are not one of the people that just put HIDs in a car over the weekend and then not adjust them, dazzling everyone.

But I do think you should look into getting a projector casing at the very least, a knob at an MOT station could fail you for it and it is illegal, so a policeman could do you for it as well.

Unlikely though, given the amount of retards going round with the stupid fog lights/headlights out and the police do nothing, grrrrr

Sorry dazzling lights are a proper bug bear of mine. But I would recommend at least investigating a projector case, you might find the lights work better then they are focussed.

Graham
    Well yea a lot of people dont do the research, but i did for a long time before buying any. The difference in vision at night is definately worth it, and should really be fit as standard on any new car imo, considering the amount of rural roads with no lighting or cats eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Well yea a lot of people dont do the research, but i did for a long time before buying any. The difference in vision at night is definately worth it, and should really be fit as standard on any new car imo, considering the amount of rural roads with no lighting or cats eyes.
    Yep!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.