Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have the matrix [2 3;3 2] and wish to diagnoalize it.

First I find the eigenvalues of : -1 and 5 and put them into a matrix as:

P=[-1 0;0 5]

Then find the eigenvectors for each value and put them into a matrix
    D= [1 1; -1 1]

Then find the inverse of p

-1/5 [-1 0; 0 5]

and then what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    I have the matrix [2 3;3 2] and wish to diagnoalize it.

First I find the eigenvalues of : -1 and 5 and put them into a matrix as:

P=[-1 0;0 5]

Then find the eigenvectors for each value and put them into a matrix
    D= [1 1; -1 1]

Then find the inverse of p

-1/5 [-1 0; 0 5]

and then what?
    You've diagonalised it. It may be better to call your diagonal matrix of eigenvalues D and your invertible matrix of eigenvectors P

Then, calling your matrix A, you have A=PDP^{-1}

You may want to check that AP=PD and that P is invertible (e.g. has determinant 0 non-zero determinant).

By the way, it isn't the inverse of the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues you require, instead the invertible matrix of eigenvectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEd)
    You've diagonalised it. It may be better to call your diagonal matrix of eigenvalues D and your invertible matrix of eigenvectors P

Then, calling your matrix A, you have A=PDP^{-1}

You may want to check that AP=PD and that P is invertible (e.g. has determinant 0).

By the way, it isn't the inverse of the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues you require, instead the invertible matrix of eigenvectors.
    * non zero

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    * non zero
    Correct. P should have non-zero determinant so that it is invertible
    • PS Helper

Just to elaborate on what TheEd said (because understanding the concept means it's easier to remember):

The idea of a diagonalised matrix is that it takes a two particular vectors (the eigenvectors) and scales them.

Now, as it is, the matrix \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix} tells you that it sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}. However, you also know that it sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 5 \times \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to -1 \times \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so what you want to get is a matrix which:

1. Sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} (i.e. it sends the basis vectors to the eigenvectors)
    2. Scales these two vectors appropriately
    3. Takes you back to where you started

Since these both do the same thing to both the basis vectors, they must be the same thing, so they're equal.

This is why when you diagonalise you get something in the form A=P^{-1}DP, where D is diagonal: the matrix P sends your basis vectors to the eigenvectors of the matrix, then D scales them, and finally P^{-1} takes you back to where you were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Just to elaborate on what TheEd said (because understanding the concept means it's easier to remember):

The idea of a diagonalised matrix is that it takes a two particular vectors (the eigenvectors) and scales them.

Now, as it is, the matrix \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix} tells you that it sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}. However, you also know that it sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 5 \times \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to -1 \times \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so what you want to get is a matrix which:

1. Sends \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} (i.e. it sends the basis vectors to the eigenvectors)
    2. Scales these two vectors appropriately
    3. Takes you back to where you started

Since these both do the same thing to both the basis vectors, they must be the same thing, so they're equal.

This is why when you diagonalise you get something in the form A=P^{-1}DP, where D is diagonal: the matrix P sends your basis vectors to the eigenvectors of the matrix, then D scales them, and finally P^{-1} takes you back to where you were.

Thank you both. So D is actually the diagonalized matrix?

The question I am given asks for the modal matrix is this the P? And then it asks me to find the product : PAP-1 so is this then giving me D?
    • PS Helper

The question I am given asks for the modal matrix is this the P? And then it asks me to find the product : PAP-1 so is this then giving me D?
    Yup, P is the modal matrix, i.e. the matrix whose columns are eigenvectors. It's sometimes called the "change of basis matrix" for other reasons.

Because A=P^{-1}DP we must have PAP^{-1}=D, which is diagonal (assuming A can be diagonalised of course!)

ReputationRep:

A is the diagonalised matrix, D is the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues, P is the modal matrix.

So if the diagonalised form of A=P^{-1}DP then D=PAP^{-1} and the question is asking you to check this.

ReputationRep:
    My lecture notes give me D = P^-1 A P

So does that mean that A = PDP^-1 which is backwards of what is written above

ReputationRep:
    My lecture notes give me D = P^-1 A P

So does that mean that A = PDP^-1 which is backwards of what is written above
    This is also correct (actually the way I learnt it and how I said it in my first post)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEd)
    This is also correct (actually the way I learnt it and how I said it in my first post)
    Sorry for being dumb here but how does A=PDP-1 and = P-1 DP when matrix multiplication is dependent on the order.
    • PS Helper

Sorry for being dumb here but how does A=PDP-1 and = P-1 DP when matrix multiplication is dependent on the order.
    Notice the difference between D=P^{-1}AP and A=PDP^{-1} (I got the Ps and P^{-1}s mixed up in my previous posts... oops).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.