Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MUNSC Election - Non-permanent member Watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

ReputationRep:
    There is one candidate for the non-permanent vacancy on the SC. Usual rules apply - 48 hour Q&A...

Brazil (represented by sandys1000Brazil would be ideally suited for a seat on the Security council. It is the tenth largest economy in the world, projected to grow to the fifth within the decade. In addition, it's population of over 200 million is the fifth largest in the world. There is currently no Latin American representation on the Council - Brazil is the perfect country to address this.

Brazil is already proactive in foreign affairs, and a Security Council seat would allow us to extend this role. It is clear that the G20 is replacing the G8, and Brazil is a key component of this organisation. We have also lent $10 billion to the IMF, to assist countries in the current economic crisis. Brazil is an active contributor to UN missions, being the leading nation in the Haitian peacekeeping and recovery force, as well as operations in Cyprus, Western Sahara, Liberia and Nepal.

Brazil however is keenly aware of the fact that is is a relatively recent entrant into the group of developed countries. As such we are keenly aware of the impact of poverty and hardship on peoples. We would therefore seek to champion economic development, both in the immediate Southern American region, and in the wider global context. Our experience of rapid development means that we can perhaps engage more effectively with developing nations than the traditional powers.

Thank you for considering Brazil's bid.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of RON Sandy?

ReputationRep:
    What is your opinion on the NATO war in Afghanistan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    What do you think of RON Sandy?
    Poor guy: he's not done very well, and tries so hard. I wish my opponent the very best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Is this IC or OOC again?

(Original post by Student2806)
    QFA

ReputationRep:
    [ooc] Just out of interest, why on earth does Brazil give so much to the IMF when it still has the most god awful slums like in Rio De Janiro?[/ooc]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Is this IC or OOC again?
    Either or. You can answer any way you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    [ooc] Just out of interest, why on earth does Brazil give so much to the IMF when it still has the most god awful slums like in Rio De Janiro?[/ooc]
    [ooc] Because it has to. The IMF bailed it, along with mexico and most of south america, out in the debt crisis of the 80s, and the SAPs the IMF introduced were implemented to maximize profits rather than sort out a standard of living. Therefore, it needs to pay the IMF back before it can sort out it's own communities, but I think it's waiting for the promised 'trickle down' from TNCs to improve the country.

Sociology exam on this in january xD [/ooc]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoolishUK)
    What is your opinion on the NATO war in Afghanistan?
    I've always been in support of the operation in Afghanistan. I think that the Taliban needed to be removed for moral and security reasons. Clearly not enough thought or resources were directed towards it at first, and this has had serious consequence, but I believe that the reconstruction that needs to take place if any semblance of a recovery is to be achieved can only take place given a relatively stable security situation. At the moment Afghan forces aren't up to this task, and so NATO forces are required both to provide the security itself, and to train the ANA/ANP. Certainly I think that it would be almost criminally irresponsible if ISAF was to withdraw and leave the country in it's current state.

[ooc] Because it has to. The IMF bailed it, along with mexico and most of south america, out in the debt crisis of the 80s, and the SAPs the IMF introduced were implemented to maximize profits rather than sort out a standard of living. Therefore, it needs to pay the IMF back before it can sort out it's own communities, but I think it's waiting for the promised 'trickle down' from TNCs to improve the country.

Hasn't Brazil payed off it's IMF debts by now? I was under the impression that this loan was simply an attempt to increase their influence as part of the BRIC group.

ReputationRep:

Hasn't Brazil payed off it's IMF debts by now? I was under the impression that this loan was simply an attempt to increase their influence as part of the BRIC group.
    I think you may be right. Luckily, i don't need to know it in such detail. but still, Im sure it's also due to a tied condition of the loan. it sounds like something the IMF would do.

ReputationRep:
    Either or. You can answer any way you want.
    Poll?

ReputationRep:
    Poll up!

ReputationRep:

Yep, the SAPs lol course most people dont know about this..

ReputationRep:

That's rather selfish of the IMF isn't it? Considering the situation in Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations sandy!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations sandy!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Congratulations Welcome to the SC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    Congratulations Welcome to the SC!
    Thanks. Good to see Brazil back on the Council
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Congrats.
    Cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.