Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Can anybody explain what the hell those guys are doing?

What would be the best way to prepare for an interview?

It's a first round interview..

hope u can help me

cheerio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sobiodum)
    Hey guys,

Can anybody explain what the hell those guys are doing?

What would be the best way to prepare for an interview?

It's a first round interview..

hope u can help me

cheerio
    Is this for GS? If yes I interviewed with them last year. Tbh mate 5 different guys that interviewed me described briefly what they do and I still wasn't too sure. They focus quite a bit on structured credit and have a large prop component to it.

My interviews consisted of a lot of brainteasers and then some maths oriented questions (what is the integral of ln(x) etc) and then how to price CDS.

ReputationRep:
    hey derivstrader,

yeah its GS. Its very hard to figure out what they are doing..

Would you say that they generally speaking have a focus on credit derivatives ( I mean the broad range, not only CDS)?

Did they ask any accounting/valuation questions? That was my first guess cause I thought they might be a bit like a PE boutique...

Many thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sobiodum)
    hey derivstrader,

yeah its GS. Its very hard to figure out what they are doing..

Would you say that they generally speaking have a focus on credit derivatives ( I mean the broad range, not only CDS)?

Did they ask any accounting/valuation questions? That was my first guess cause I thought they might be a bit like a PE boutique...

Many thanks for your help
    I have done a PE internship and they simply asked me what i did and some of the deals I worked on, how was my financial modelling but didnt ask any specific technicals in that sense.

Your best bet is to just simply ask them for more guidance at the interview, because there is truly hardly any info on them on the web. Just make sure to prepare broadly and know basic credit/credit derivs technicals

ReputationRep:
    I believe its the use if structure finance to fund equity investments off the banks own balance sheet. Read up on CDS, and other structured finance methods, and for equity side warrants, options, etfs, etc.

Could be way off but I applied to SocGen for principal finance and equity investments. I was also baffled by the terminology, and so were many people in the industry I asked, but this is eventually what I deciphered from the role title.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.