Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Please could I ask for some advice. I am at 6th form studying Human Biology, Psychology, English Language and Chemistry. Everything is going great except Chemistry where I am really struggling to understand anything. I spend all my time on this subject but really am not making much progress. I think I could get really good grades in the other subjects and am seriously thinking about dropping Chemistry. I was always planning to drop Chemistry at the end of AS, but I do not think I will even get the AS, and my other subjects are going to suffer.

I am worried about not having an AS subject as I may need the UCAS points for uni entry. However the school have said they can place me on work experience in a hospital in the time I would be studying Chemistry and that this would be seen favourably by Uni's - I am not convinced!

What are your thoughts on this. The only option I was thinking was that I would have to start another AS subject next year when I do my A2's - not ideal. I am not sure if I will go to uni yet but I would like to consider speech therapy if I can get good grades.

Really appreciate any advice - thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was in exactly the same position 3 weeks ago, and i dropped it as i found i just could not cope!, i mean it is a good option to have if you want to go into science, but i found that i would much rather get the good grades and actually getting into uni, rather than having chemstry putting me down and ruining my chances, however i changed to french which is not so good now, so i am thinking do just drop the fourth subject all together, crazyyy stuff

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    This may seem a bit obvious - but do loads of past papers. Even if you don't understand what the answers mean, you'll get the marks, as you'll know what the mark scheme asks for. It's a pretty deplorable way to educate anyone, but for some it does the job - passes the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I was in this position last year.
    I did a weird GCSE science, and probably shouldn't have been allowed to take A level biology and chemistry. Biology really clicked, chemistry really didn't.
    I did not get the mole, at all, for months. It stressed me out so much, my mum thought I was considering dropping out of sixth form all together, though thankfully I didn't!
    I persevered with chemistry. Worked at it at home. Asked teachers for help, and at some point around January it just clicked. Literally, in the space of a week, I get my head around the entire subject.
    I am so glad I persevered with it, and I can now do my uni subject of choice (medicine).

My advice? Keep going. Give it a chance. Chemistry is commonly thought of as the hardest A level, its meant to be a challenge. But it is sooo rewarding when it goes right, and the syllabus gets much more interesting towards the end of AS.
    Hope I helped, and good luck

[On the otherhand, if it is REALLY stressing you, then it would be much better for you to drop it then compromise your health or grow to resent school].

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry can be hard to start with, but it will click if you stick with it, learn how topics link to each other and it becomes alot easier
    I found Chemistry to be the easiest A/s last year but did struggle in the first few months. I wouldnt drop it.....

Work experience in a hospital, you know you need chemistry A-level to apply to medicine right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentZ)
    Hi,
    Please could I ask for some advice. I am at 6th form studying Human Biology, Psychology, English Language and Chemistry. Everything is going great except Chemistry where I am really struggling to understand anything. I spend all my time on this subject but really am not making much progress. I think I could get really good grades in the other subjects and am seriously thinking about dropping Chemistry. I was always planning to drop Chemistry at the end of AS, but I do not think I will even get the AS, and my other subjects are going to suffer.

I am worried about not having an AS subject as I may need the UCAS points for uni entry. However the school have said they can place me on work experience in a hospital in the time I would be studying Chemistry and that this would be seen favourably by Uni's - I am not convinced!

What are your thoughts on this. The only option I was thinking was that I would have to start another AS subject next year when I do my A2's - not ideal. I am not sure if I will go to uni yet but I would like to consider speech therapy if I can get good grades.

What exam board are you with for Chemistry? I'd be happy to help you if it's OCR

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I didn't get Chemistry at first. It's the one A-level where I'd prefer to do it all at the end of the two years, rather than the modular system, as I understood everything better as I learnt more.
    Anyway, I digress.
    I got a tutor. I changed schools for 6th form and I found the teaching style unlike anything I'd ever experienced before, so some one-on-one tuition really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    I was in this exact same place last year..even started a thread , didn't understand anything for the first term ..literally went over my head ! But just go over your notes and do loads of questions and it will just click and then you'll wonder what was so difficult ! Good Luck !

ReputationRep:
    OP what exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Its not too bad with practice, do past papers etc

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry; my love, my life.

Persevere my dear friend and do not lose heart....

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely suggest dropping it if you are using all your time up on it. I personally did Chemistry at AS and A2 and am doing it now as a degree, i'll be honest, it doesn't get easier at A2.

I would also carry it on till after christmas, see how it goes, see if you get anywhere with it during the christmas holidays and then if you still haven't got your head round it. Drop it.

ReputationRep:
    For chemistry it's important to get a really good teacher (getting extra tuition or get a friend to help?) to explain stuff to you, AS Chem I didn't like because of crap teachers, but I had really good teachers for A2 Chem, and even though it was much harder, all the concepts were explained properly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree with the comments about a good teacher. I had an absolutely incredible teacher (who was also my form tutor) and it helped a lot. Chemistry is something, in my opinion, that is difficult to self-teach. Because of that, a good teacher is invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I agree with the comments about a good teacher. I had an absolutely incredible teacher (who was also my form tutor) and it helped a lot. Chemistry is something, in my opinion, that is difficult to self-teach. Because of that, a good teacher is invaluable.
    So true, i didn't start Chemistry until year 9, nad had such a good teacher i have him for A level as well without him I'm pretty confident I would have failed.

ReputationRep:
    You need to sit down and make an honest assessment about whether it is worth your time. If you are prepared to put the hours in yourself and asking teachers, then you might have a shot. If you are taking Chemistry to "round" your subject choices and think that the amount of time you will need to focus on it will hinder your other subjects then you know what the answer is.

I love Chemistry, i live Chemistry, but i'm not going to push you either way.

Talk to your Chemistry teachers, they will have the best handle on how you are coping with it all. Also talk to whoever at your school is the guru of uni admissions with regards to the UCAS points and check the uni courses you are looking for (with a realistic assessment of how your other subjects may drop).

Best of luck. It's not an easy choice, and the only person in the best position to make it is you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylikeeee)

My advice? Keep going. Give it a chance. Chemistry is commonly thought of as the hardest A level, its meant to be a challenge. But it is sooo rewarding when it goes right, and the syllabus gets much more interesting towards the end of AS.
    Hope I helped, and good luck
    Id agree with all of this. One of the things that makes chemistry fun is that it is hard and therefore VERY rewarding And if you're worried about the exam, learn the mark scheme. I struggled for the first bit, wanting to do History. I learned the mark scheme for my first module, got a B. Then organic starts and organic is way cool #

The point is is that i th ink you should see it through till January and then decide after results...my teacher predicted me a D alst jan and I got a B. Stay confident!!

Good luck, whatever you decide xxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.