Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need your help - what do you eat? Watch

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could help me out. I'm currently trying to recover from anorexia...eating more than I am used to makes me feel as though I'm eating loads, and through restricting my eating I've kind of forgotten what is a 'normal' amount to eat...

I'd be really grateful if you'd be willing to post an example of what you'd eat on a typical day - and perhaps your weight and height, if that's not too personal. Just so I can try to understand what is normal to be eating and everything

Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    Peoples diets vary so much depending on their needs, e.g. I eat 3000 calories a day and a very protein rich diet for my needs, you should see your doctor and maybe seek a referral to a nutritionist for something tailored to your own needs
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind I'm a uni student so my diet isn't exactly the best...

Breakfast:
    2 pieces of toast with butter and marmite
    or
    Cereal with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch:
    Sandwich (ham/tuna/cheese)
    Bag of crisps
    or
    Chocolate bar
    or
    Crisps and chocolate bar (if it's been a bad day!)

Dinner:
    Casserole and potatoes
    or
    Stir fry and rice
    or
    Pasta, bacon and tomato sauce
    or
    Pizza
    or
    Curry and rice

Supper:
    Slice of toast (Only have if very hungry)
    or
    Chips and Pakora (If have been on night out)

Height = 5ft 4
    Weight = around 8 and 1/2 to 9 stone

But I do agree with a_t, go to a nutritionist and they can sort out a programme for you

(Original post by a_t)
    Peoples diets vary so much depending on their needs, e.g. I eat 3000 calories a day and a very protein rich diet for my needs, you should see your doctor and maybe seek a referral to a nutritionist for something tailored to your own needs
    Thanks for your reply, though, yes, I do have a dietician and so kind of know what I'm expected to have...but I was more just wondering from the point of view of what people 'normally' eat - ie, without necessarily worrying about what they're eating or following a specific diet plan etc. Because, it's implied that 'normal' eating and 'normal' attitudes to eating are largely based on having 'what you fancy' rather than making sure you have a specific amount of carbs, sat fat, etc per day... so it was more from that point of view.

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Bear in mind I'm a uni student so my diet isn't exactly the best...

Breakfast:
    2 pieces of toast with butter and marmite
    or
    Cereal with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch:
    Sandwich (ham/tuna/cheese)
    Bag of crisps
    or
    Chocolate bar
    or
    Crisps and chocolate bar (if it's been a bad day!)

Dinner:
    Casserole and potatoes
    or
    Stir fry and rice
    or
    Pasta, bacon and tomato sauce
    or
    Pizza
    or
    Curry and rice

Supper:
    Slice of toast (Only have if very hungry)
    or
    Chips and Pakora (If have been on night out)

Height = 5ft 4
    Weight = around 8 and 1/2 to 9 stone

But I do agree with a_t, go to a nutritionist and they can sort out a programme for you
    Thanks so much for that - v helpful And a useful comparison for me too, as we are the same height!

Hey I try to have a healthy balanced diet, and get something from all the food groups so, eg, today i Had

Breakfast: Cereal and whole milk,
    Snack: Millies Cookie
    Lunch: Soup with a massive chunk of bread, and a massive greek salad.
    Snack: Pack of crisps and flapjack
    And today for Dinner, it'll be Pasta and salad, with fruit/yoghurt for afters. .

Oh, and I'm 5ft2 (and a half ), and weigh 7 and 1/4 stone(ish)

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast: Porridge/weetabix/2 slices of toast

Lunch: Sandwich + snack/salad

Dinner: Pasta/ Meat and veg (not very varied atm as I'm on a student budget)

ReputationRep:
    Definately see a nutritionist or a doctor, they should be more than happy to help you out.

For me usually:
    Breakfast
    -2 Weetabix with skimmed milk
    or
    -A piece of toast and an apple

Lunch (has to be quick to prepare and easy to take to uni)
    -Tomato Soup and piece of fruit
    or
    -Marmite sandwich with fruit
    or
    -Grilled chicken salad

Dinner
    -Jacket potato with tuna or baked beans
    or
    -Vegetable hotpot
    or
    -Steamed fish with vegetables
    or
    -Vegetable/beef stirfry

Snacks
    -handful of almonds or dried fruit
    -2 squares of dark chocolate or a few cocoa nibs
    -any fruit I feel like

I also drink a cup of hot chocolate in the evening, and on sunday I'll have a 'treat' usually a gingerbread man or flapjack or a muffin.

I'm 5ft 9 and weigh 125 to 130lbs

All the best with your recovery!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think you should be following my example but:

Breakfast:
    -2 Weetabix wth Milk and Glass of Juice
    - Slice of toast Jam/Peanut Butter
    Snack:
    -Waffle (sell em at my school....the best things!)
    -Apple
    Lunch:
    -Pie/Pizza/Sub/Sandwich/School dinner/Soup/boiled eggs/cornish pastie/Beans or cheese on toast etcetcetc
    -Chocolate bar (normally crunchie onomnmonmnom)
    Snack:
    -Peperami
    -Piece of fruit
    Dinner:
    -Varies soooo much, today having lasagne but other things like - kedgeree, pasta, fajitas, curry, schnitzel, omlette, stews, chilli, shepards pie blahblah

Oh and I drink loads of water. and sometimes a bowl of shreddies for a snack? my own personlised snack

61Kg (around 10 stone)
    5,9 (1.78m)

*Forgot to add this is basically a week day at weekends its take aways and sunday Lunch

ReputationRep:
    I eat high protein foods and carbs ( for bodybuilding) and next to no fat. Eating well has no adverse affects on your health as long as you don't eat too much fat and eat a bit of everything. Good luck
    btw I'm 5ft 8 and roughly 13 stone (EDIT: I've just weighed myself and it is closer to this).
    EDIT: Having a takeaway every so often would be good. You can make serious decisions about your health once you've recovered completely. Oh and you might want to see a professional for advice.

ReputationRep:
    Cake, nachos and cake.

ReputationRep:
    Currently nocturnal but here's what I had yesterday/last night .

breakfast:
    ready break with a large dollop of jam

lunch:
    tuna pasta surprise with grated cheddar (which is penne with tuna, ragu, onion and sweetcorn)

dinner:
    chicken dippers and onion rings with ketchup and sour cream and chive dip

In between that I drink tea with 2 sugars and whole milk and a peanut butter sandwich for a snack.

I'm 5"4 and my weight varies between 7.5 st and 8 st

Firstly, if you're in recovery you should be having help from your GP aswell as a counsellor/psychologist/psychiatrist who can monitor your progress. They should then refer you to a dietician who can properly assess your needs.

I've been in solid recovery from anorexia for a year now, after five years of severe illness and hospital admissions. When you're gaining weight your diet will be substantially different to that of what is advocated as 'healthy' or 'normal' so you must forget traditional 'guidelines' and remember your body, in order to sufficiently recover all its functions, needs very high calories and plenty of fats (including saturated). I've needed up to 3500 calories a day for weeks on end at varying times, and I've known people who need up to 4000 so don't underestimate how much food you need to regain health and weight. High calorie, small volume is often the best way to go.

Currently though I'm maintaining my weight on a diet of anything from 2100-3100 calories a day. I'm 5'6 and 8 stones. A typical day would be:

Breakfast: Apple; Satsuma; Bagel; Cereal with raisins and milk
    Snack: Hot chocolate; Cookie
    Lunch: Toasted cheese sandwich
    Snack: Chocolate/Crisps/Pretzels
    Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese with salad
    Dessert: Fru pudding/Chocolate bar

Again, it varies everyday so it's quite hard to give an average! However, you must remember that normal eating means adapting to circumstance without trouble and as a normal eater some days you will eat what feels like too much, other days what feels like too little. Until you've reached a healthy weight though, remember to keep consistently eating a high number of calories. Try listening to your body - it's surprisingly good at telling you what it needs if you only listen!

Good luck and take care.

This thread really helps me too. I'm (apparently) in recovery and I have a dietician but weirdly, we don't actually talk about my intake. I'm always complaining to her that no-one seems to eat as much as I have to so it's good to see this thread to get some perspective on what people without anorexia eat. I completely get how scary it is when you start to eat a 'normal' diet and feel like it's too much. At the moment, I'm going through a stage where everything feels too much so, again, it's really helpful to see this thread.
    I won't post what I eat, partly because it's a bit triggering for me atm and partly because I'm not really a 'normal' eater yet so you really wouldn't want to follow my example.

This might seem a bit of an odd question, and I hope this isn't uncalled for OP, but how would people feel if I made a support thread for people with AN/over eating disorders? There seems to (sadly) be quite a few people on TSR with eating disorders and it might be good if we could sort of help each other? Quote me and tell me what you think. I hope quoting still works when you're anon, if not, I'll de-anon.

Take care OP xxx

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm 5' 4.5" and weigh 9.5 stone

Breakfast
    2 Slices of toast with nutella on them
    or
    A bowl of special K

Lunch
    Jam sandwich
    Packet of crisps
    Chocolate bar

Dinner
    Chicken with vegetables
    or
    Steak and potatoes
    or
    Stew/Casserole
    or
    Chicken and rice
    (It varies a lot, these are the favourites in my house Of course we probably have one unhealthy takeaway meal once a fortnight too )

Snacks (This changes depending on if I didn't each much dinner because I felt sick)
    Tracker bar
    An orange
    3 Chocolate digestives

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This thread really helps me too. I'm (apparently) in recovery and I have a dietician but weirdly, we don't actually talk about my intake. I'm always complaining to her that no-one seems to eat as much as I have to so it's good to see this thread to get some perspective on what people without anorexia eat. I completely get how scary it is when you start to eat a 'normal' diet and feel like it's too much. At the moment, I'm going through a stage where everything feels too much so, again, it's really helpful to see this thread.
    I won't post what I eat, partly because it's a bit triggering for me atm and partly because I'm not really a 'normal' eater yet so you really wouldn't want to follow my example.

This might seem a bit of an odd question, and I hope this isn't uncalled for OP, but how would people feel if I made a support thread for people with AN/over eating disorders? There seems to (sadly) be quite a few people on TSR with eating disorders and it might be good if we could sort of help each other? Quote me and tell me what you think. I hope quoting still works when you're anon, if not, I'll de-anon.

Take care OP xxx
    I'm glad the thread is helping you too I too, do have a dietician, but to me it seems strange that part of 'recovery' involves planning what you eat, and counting calories to make sure you're getting enough etc - because isn't that a big part of the 'obsessive' behaviour of an ED anyway? It's so confusing!! It seems weird to me that people can just go and eat, without much thought as to anything other than taste and preference...I guess that's what I was aiming this thread at.

You're right, anon, there does seem to be lots of people on TSR with EDs - and I know from experience that online support can be so helpful...so yes, I think a support thread on here might be a good idea - though it might be hard to stop people making unhelpful, ignorant or triggering comments. Take care too, and all the best with your recovery xxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.