Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any point learning latin Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Obviously i can fully understand English and I can also speak Welsh quite well but i want to learn another language. I have looked to learn Latin, i know it used widely used anymore so was curious would there be any point in learning it apart from my own enjoyment?

ReputationRep:
    Will it look good on paper or help me have a big foundation in a lot ofdifferent languages

If you want to be as cool as The Others in Lost then yes, yes there is a point.

ReputationRep:
      It's not used widely any more, and rarely spoken aloud, but it is a wonderful language!

It's the foundation for quite a few European languages, like French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian and Portuguese, plus, it always looks quite impressive to be able to say I can understand Latin.

It also furthers your knowledge of culture in general - the Roman Empire was so vast, there was a fairly big impact on most of European cultures, and if you go to many countries in Europe, you will probably find some Roman ruins somewhere!

Personally, I think it's a great idea to learn Latin, but if you want to learn a more modern, useful language, by all means, go for something else.

ReputationRep:
      If you think you'd like talking in Latin to yourself, go for it! You'll rarely find another Latin speaking person in this context.

If you'd just like to understand the language, great reason. I sincerely recommend you do if this is true

ReputationRep:
      Several reasons:

Firstly soley to have access to it's literature. Exposure to Latin means exposure to Linguistics in small way as one needs a half decent grounding in it's phonology and morphology which are often taught from a comparative standpoint anyway.

I'm trying to keep the reasoning short, ignoring the crap about logical thinking etc etc.

It does help with language acquisition. Not solely because of the direct influence on the Romance languages because when Latin is taught, it tends to be taught properly and thoroughly.

There are many cool languages to learn though, take your pick.

ReputationRep:
      Latin is a wonderful language, it is simultaneously logical and poetic. It follows strict rules without losing its beauty.

OK, now for the advantages:
      - A good command of Latin allows you to understand quite a bit of most European languages (or at least Romance languages) without having studied them in school.
      - It shows you where a lot of words in modern languages derive from.
      - You get closer contact with Roman history, philosophy, politics and mythology.
      - As was said before, you get access to its literature.

I read Latin in school for 10 years, together with English and French (English is not my first language), and I took only benefits from it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.