Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am slightly anxious as I am about to fill in 2 forms for CRB checks for voluntary roles that I am doing.

About 16 years ago after quite alot of alcohol a friend and I made some prank calls to a colleague. Unbeknown to us he had already received prank calls and his calls were being monitored by the police. Hence we got caught! I had always thought it was a caution that we had recieved, but now I am not sure. We were never formally arrested and no fingerprints were taken but bear in mind it was 16 years ago. However after some time we did get called to the police station for an official telling off. I have always felt deeply ashamed about this and clearly since this time nothing has happened like this. I am just not sure whether it was a caution or a reprimand that we received.

As I say I am about to fill in 2 CRB forms for enhanced checks. What I am wondering is whether this would show up after 16 years whether it was a caution or a reprimand? What do you think? I am quite anxious as I note the form asks you to declare any previous cautions reprimands etc. After 16 years do you think anything like this would show up on a CRB check when its been an isolated incident? Do you think I should declare this or not? I feel so ashamed and embarrassed about it all.

I would be grateful for any replies.

Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    as far as im aware you should declare it
    however if your unsure go to your local police station and ask, because the crb comes back with a 'caution' section as well as convictions etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Take your passport and proof of your address so that they do not think it is someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you must declare it. If you don't, it will make you look dishonest and as far as I'm aware, an enhanced CRB check will show all previous cautions and reprimands, no matter how long ago they are.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Prank calling is hardly a major criminal offence and if that's the only caution/reprimand you've ever had, it's highly unlikely you'll be rejected for voluntary work because of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.