The Student Room Group

Have I got any chance of becoming a solicitor? Help please!!!

Okay basically my dream job is to become a solicitor. I am planning to firm Southampton university (that's the one Russell group I applied to and got an offer from). I was wondering what my career prospects would be? I understand how competitive law careers are and already know I won't be aiming for a top firm because although I was lucky enough to get an offer from Southampton my academia prior to AS levels (GCSEs) are pretty average.

Nevertheless I am prepared to work hard for a 2:1, what are my chances of becoming a solicitor in a high street firm with a 2:1 from this particular uni (realistically)?

Thank you for your time! :smile:
Reply 1
This should be in the law forum :smile:

And if your not aiming for a top top firm then I'm guessing you'll stand a chance.
Reply 2
*rolls eyes*

Yes, universities do play into whether or not you'll make it but seriously, you could make it as a Solicitor if you put the work in, work hard, make the most out of contacts and get the most amount of work experience as you can.

I have a family friend who when I wanted to do Law was telling me she's turned down several Oxford candidates for someone who went to Sussex (Or Southampton, I can't quite remember as this was summer time ish and then I changed to history). Yes, higher universities will give you easier access to work experience but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make it as a Barrister or Solicitor to a top law firm. If you're willing to push yourself and take every opportunity you get by the balls, you can make it in Law. And Southampton is an excellent university to go to, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Reply 3
Original post by Xhotas
*rolls eyes*

Yes, universities do play into whether or not you'll make it but seriously, you could make it as a Solicitor if you put the work in, work hard, make the most out of contacts and get the most amount of work experience as you can.

I have a family friend who when I wanted to do Law was telling me she's turned down several Oxford candidates for someone who went to Sussex (Or Southampton, I can't quite remember as this was summer time ish and then I changed to history). Yes, higher universities will give you easier access to work experience but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make it as a Barrister or Solicitor to a top law firm. If you're willing to push yourself and take every opportunity you get by the balls, you can make it in Law. And Southampton is an excellent university to go to, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thank you for the input! :smile:

In your opinion would you regard Southampton as a 'good' university in terms of what prospective employers are looking for?

Thanks!
A top firm isn't totally out of the question if you did decide to go for that kind of work, providing you get a high first and ensure you have lots of great ECs and so on.

High-street type firm or provincial firm is definitely realistic, Southampton is a good uni. This is subject to the usual caveats i.e. having a good 2:1, making plenty of well researched applications, having some ECs, interviewing well etc.
Reply 5
Original post by JEMSB12
Thank you for the input! :smile:

In your opinion would you regard Southampton as a 'good' university in terms of what prospective employers are looking for?

Thanks!

Southampton is definitely a good university, just take advantage of literally every opportunity you get. It is an extremely competitive field you're going into and only those who really work hard will get to the top, regardless of university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending