Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Union of Students secretly urged Government to make deep cuts Watch

ReputationRep:
    The National Union of Students secretly urged the Coalition to make deep cuts in student grants and charge market rates of interest on student loans, according to leaked emails.

The disclosure is likely to cause discord within the union, which has led opposition to Government plans to allow tuition fees to rise to £9,000 a year.

The Daily Telegraph has seen emails from Mr Porter and his team in which the NUS leadership urged ministers to cut grants and loans as an alternative to raising tuition fees.

In private talks in October, the NUS tried to persuade ministers at the Department for Business to enact their planned 15 per cent cut in higher education funding without lifting the cap on fees.

In one email to the department’s officials, dated Oct 1, Mr Porter suggested that £800?million should be “deducted from the grants pot” over four years. That would cut total spending on grants by 61 per cent. Mr Porter also proposed the “introduction of a real rate of interest” for student loans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nt-grants.html

****ing hilarious.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    HAHA. Genius

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't surprise me one little bit. The NUS has and always will be dominated by middle class kids trying to protect their own cosy standard of life. The new fee regime will hurt middle class students way more than working class students and thats why they care about it. They use the idea of restricting access to working class students as a mask for their true intentions, which are totally self serving.

This information just proves that. Cutting grants and loans in the current regime would make it so much harder for many working class kids to go to uni. In fact much, much harder than what the coalition government is currently planning. I know for a fact that if my loans and grants had been cut the way the NUS was suggesting, I'd have never got to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    That is just brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Ha Ha - the NUS, what a load of self-abusers.

Can I actually leave the NUS and demand to get my subs paid back to me?

ReputationRep:
    I think ajp100688 hit the nail on the head.

I find this hilarious and I really hope it is brought up in the news.

ReputationRep:
    Aaron Porter, its president, has been the Coalition’s most vocal critic, frequently accusing ministers of betraying students...

LOL bunch of *****.

ReputationRep:
    Where do NUS officials go on to land careers? That's their agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Where do NUS officials go on to land careers? That's their agenda.
    Politics and professional meeja types quite often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:NUS_presidents

Keep an eye out for this one being cynically parachuted into a safe seat near you..

ReputationRep:
    another organisation that actually worked against students whilst pretending to be in solidarity with them. What a shame really. Perhaps Mr. Porter will do a Nick Clegg and spew out some 'fairness' and 'national interest' rhetoric.

Now that students really do have nobody to support them, I wonder what the next move will be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    another organisation that actually worked against students whilst pretending to be in solidarity with them. What a shame really. Perhaps Mr. Porter will do a Nick Clegg and spew out some 'fairness' and 'national interest' rhetoric.

Now that students really do have nobody to support them, I wonder what the next move will be...
    Same as it was. The vote is passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Same as it was. The vote is passed.
    which basically means that in every situation, students will remain useless and powerless until it comes time that the government want their tax or if they are rich

ah, the beauty of "democracy".

ReputationRep:
    The NUS for many years now have been totally out of touch with the students that they represent, which is a pity, but not entirely unsurprising when it's filled with career politics minded New Labourites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    which basically means that in every situation, students will remain useless and powerless until it comes time that the government want their tax or if they are rich

ah, the beauty of "democracy".
    Well not really. The students only remain "powerless" when everyone else in the country says they should, and by that I mean if everyone votes for a party which isn't giving students a fair deal. But that didn't really happen.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't this front page headline news on BBC?

ReputationRep:
    Disguting. Mr Porter should be ousted from his post and forced to make a full public apology. What a bunch of rats the leadership of the NUS are.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone sick of these students yet. This is getting boring now and i wish they would crawl back under the rock.

ReputationRep:
    Two faced idiots

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Down with this sort of thing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.