Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you couldn't take your car with you to uni, what did you do with it?

I know it's nearly a year until I go but I just want to see what options I have. I don't really want to go without a car when I come home for holidays. Are one month policies available?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Can't you leave it at home? Where do you leave it when you're (e.g.) sleeping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Can't you leave it at home? Where do you leave it when you're (e.g.) sleeping?
    Space isn't the problem, but if I'm parking my car on the road don't I have to still have to have it insured. As you can imagine being a student & paying for hefty price of insurence for a year while not using it all the time seems out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    being a student & paying for hefty price of insurence for a year while not using it all the time seems out of the question.

i know, it seems silly but im doing exactly that :/

£1466 :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1christopher)
    i know, it seems silly but im doing exactly that :/

£1466 :O
    If you don't mind, are your parents paying for it?

ReputationRep:
    I left my car at home, parked on a driveway and I renewed my insurance on it, though that's just because I'll be using it to get to work when I'm back over the holidays.

(Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    Are one month policies available?
    You can get short-term policies, it's something I looked into for mine, but honestly it's probably not worth it!
    It worked out almost as expensive as just insuring it for a year up front.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up selling my car when I went to uni. The cost of the insurance/tax/repairs/upkeep/petrol just weren't worth it. And it means i've got a load of extra money in the bank.

But if you can afford it, why not.

ReputationRep:
    I took 2 cars with me.
    There's always somewhere to put them no matter what your uni tell you...

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend took his car to uni but he managed to wangle free parking off someone who he knew who lived in Birmingham, and now he shares a house so he can just park outside

Im thinking of selling my car cos im in London term time so yeah its sitting on the drive not being used

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.