The Student Room Group

Is this correct grammar?

Writing a thank you note:

Just writing to say a quick, but gracious, thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

Gracious feels like the right word, but I'm not sure.

Is is okay? What are some other synonyms of grateful or appreciative?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try
Just writing to say a quick but appreciative thank you...

You need to lose the comma :smile:
I'll bump for you, OP. :smile:
Gracious means "with grace", kind etc. Its okay I reckon.

Some synonyms : thankful, pleased, much obliged indebted.
Reply 4
Original post by rylit91

Just writing to say a quick, but gracious, thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

No, it's wrong. It should be:

Just writing to say a quick, but gracious thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

Gracious sounds like completely the wrong word... do you mean "grateful"?
Original post by lucia-chi
Try
Just writing to say a quick but appreciative thank you...

You need to lose the comma :smile:

~^^ This
Original post by Dominicque
I'll bump for you, OP. :smile:

I'm probably about to ask a silly question, but what does 'bump' mean? I've seen it a few times now...

I've only just learnt what a troll is.
Reply 7
Original post by spazman21
No, it's wrong. It should be:

Just writing to say a quick, but gracious thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

Gracious sounds like completely the wrong word... do you mean "grateful"?

Thanks. Several months ago I wouldn't even have needed to think twice about this; my brain's slipped into decay...
Original post by ellakrystina
I'm probably about to ask a silly question, but what does 'bump' mean? I've seen it a few times now...

It just means waking the thread up again basically.. if nobody replies it kinda slips to the bottom of the pile..

About the grammar- lose the commas and it's gramatically correct; however must you send such "posh" thank yous??
Reply 9
Original post by Gemma :)!
It just means waking the thread up again basically.. if nobody replies it kinda slips to the bottom of the pile..

About the grammar- lose the commas and it's gramatically correct; however must you send such "posh" thank yous??

I wouldn't have deemed it a 'posh' thank you. Although I have never claimed or advocated such a title, friends do see me as 'posh'. I was actually rejected from an interview several weeks ago for being too posh, whilst he simultaneously implied I was a snob.
Original post by ellakrystina

Basically, "bumping" something to the top of the page; that way more people will see it, thus upping your chance of getting an answer/the answer you need. :smile:
Reply 11
"gracious" sounds like you're praising yourself.
Reply 12
Original post by Doubledog
"gracious" sounds like you're praising yourself.

mmm, after much thought, I agree.
Original post by rylit91

Personally I'd put

Just writing to say a quick, yet gracious thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

But really it's personal preference, the grammar is correct :smile:

or appreciative, actually, and only the first comma is necessary :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dominicque
Basically, "bumping" something to the top of the page; that way more people will see it, thus upping your chance of getting an answer/the answer you need. :smile:

Original post by Gemma :)!

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by CameraGirl
Personally I'd put

Just writing to say a quick, yet gracious thank you for the card and money you sent last week.

But really it's personal preference, the grammar is correct :smile:

or appreciative, actually, and only the first comma is necessary :smile:

Which grammar, the one in my OP?
Reply 16
Writing letters to thank people for gifts oh dear this is so primary school
Reply 17
Everyone who's been trying to improve the grammar in the OP is wrong.
Reply 18
Original post by Jacktri
Writing letters to thank people for gifts oh dear this is so primary school

Perhaps in your world, but in mine we have manners and still value the weight a written note carries. Not to mention the fact these are relatives I haven't seen in 6 years, live in other parts of the country and who don't have e-mail addresses or mobiles.
Reply 19
Never mind the grammar; if you really want to write a gracious thank you, sit down and take the time to do it properly - don't just announce you can only be bothered to dash off a "quick thank you".

And never, never describe yourself as gracious.

Top marks for writing a thank you note, but if you're going to do it, do it properly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending