(Original post by CB91)
    CrimANAL?

Something else happened in there didnt it? :mmm:
    It will if he gets sent down

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know but whatever you do, don't drop the soap

ReputationRep:
    Plead guilty.

If you look weak (physically speaking), you should avoid a heavy fine.

Try to stutter upon deposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Signor Optimist)
    Dont know if this is the right place to post this .....but here goes

Got in a fight in a betting store and ended up smashing a fruit machine worth 1140. Police came and caught me with a very small amount of weed. Crown prosecutors decided to take me to court......charging me with criminal damage and possesion of a class B drug.... Even though I told them I would pay off all the damage plus any fine. So now Im going to court and will obviously be found guilty....since everything was on cctv

1) worse for me is to get a criminal conviction.....how bad is this?? and plus they said it will stick with me for a life time probably ? is this true?

2) Can I represent myself in court and plead guilty but with a lesser punishment since Im paying for the damage anyway......or should I waste more money on a good lawyer and risk the family finding out about this with the result of just avoiding criminal conviction and still paying a heafy price ......

Genuine advice is appreciated cheers

Ok first of all, you can't buy your way out of a criminal conviction. This isn't america. You commited a crime against the crown not just the booky. Criminal convictions are quite bad but not disasterous. You'll probably have to state what kind of crime you commited every time you go for a job. I'm not sure if it will stick with you for life, that's for the court to decide if it can be wiped after a some of years of good behaviour given the crime wasn't that serious. Pretty sure you can't represent yourself in court in the uk. Also I'm pretty sure you'll be provided with a lawyer anyway which will just as good as any lawyer you pay for.

I'm not a law student though so correct me if i'm worng.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them how much of a dumbass you are and show them this thread as proof... perhaps they will take pity on you.

ReputationRep:
    Bloke i knew at uni got caught twice on a train with a hella lot of drugs. First time was a bar (9 oz) and second (before he even got sentenced for the first) was 2 Oz 100 pills (turned out to be legal highs but still not good) and 50grams of speed.

Hes off scott free except a conditional discharge. 6 months at home and a year where he got caught.

A mate of mine got caught with 300 pills when he went for a leak on a police station, he got 300 hours community service and a conditional discharge spanning the 2 years he spent doing the service.

From my experience the drugs will be minimal, many people have been caught with more and let off or given a caution which is not a criminal offense. Criminal damage sentencing is quite vague.. you could be fined a small amount, more than the machine was worth, you could go to prison if it was with intent and the very worst happens.. if you were drunk however that can be used in defense.

My advice would be to plead guilty straight away and (hopefully you were not sober) to say you were not in a normal state of mind, you got into a fight and things got out of hand. You are not normally like this, its your first problem with the police, you acted how you have never done before and you will cover the cost of a new machine. If you feel it is going very bad i would say something along the lines of you are willing to show you are truthfully sorry by aiding your local community/community you disrupted for however long the courts deem necessary, although i wouldn't know how this would hold up on a criminal damage charge as it might not be a public offense.

Im sure your not alone, scout some other forums where more people in your situation would be (TSR aint the best place lol)

If you do get a criminal conviction it will affect where you can travel depending on what you get charged with and also applying for a job, for example you couldn't become a teacher or a policemen etc..

Hope this helps mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Ok first of all, you can't buy your way out of a criminal conviction. This isn't america. You commited a crime against the crown not just the booky. Criminal convictions are quite bad but not disasterous. You'll probably have to state what kind of crime you commited every time you go for a job. I'm not sure if it will stick with you for life, that's for the court to decide if it can be wiped after a some of years of good behaviour given the crime wasn't that serious. Pretty sure you can't represent yourself in court in the uk. Also I'm pretty sure you'll be provided with a lawyer anyway which will just as good as any lawyer you pay for.

A lawyer given to you will be in no way as good as most lawyers you can pay for. This is the sort of thing you don't want to think about money with. Get a good lawyer and it will really stand in your favor. A good lawyer doesn't just know the law, he knows how to use it.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: speechless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Signor Optimist)
    Dont know if this is the right place to post this .....but here goes

Got in a fight in a betting store and ended up smashing a fruit machine worth 1140. Police came and caught me with a very small amount of weed. Crown prosecutors decided to take me to court......charging me with criminal damage and possesion of a class B drug.... Even though I told them I would pay off all the damage plus any fine. So now Im going to court and will obviously be found guilty....since everything was on cctv

1) worse for me is to get a criminal conviction.....how bad is this?? and plus they said it will stick with me for a life time probably ? is this true?

2) Can I represent myself in court and plead guilty but with a lesser punishment since Im paying for the damage anyway......or should I waste more money on a good lawyer and risk the family finding out about this with the result of just avoiding criminal conviction and still paying a heafy price ......

Genuine advice is appreciated cheers
    If you're guilty, the chances are you'll be convicted and have a record. What are the charges? You can represent yourself in court but I wouldn't recommend it. All minor crimes are spent after 5 years, and most minor ones are completely cleared after about 10. Saying that, the tories want to make all minor convictions spent (not jut after 5 years) so it won't hinder anyone getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Bloke i knew at uni got caught twice on a train with a hella lot of drugs. First time was a bar (9 oz) and second (before he even got sentenced for the first) was 2 Oz 100 pills (turned out to be legal highs but still not good) and 50grams of speed.

Hes off scott free except a conditional discharge. 6 months at home and a year where he got caught.

A mate of mine got caught with 300 pills when he went for a leak on a police station, he got 300 hours community service and a conditional discharge spanning the 2 years he spent doing the service.

From my experience the drugs will be minimal, many people have been caught with more and let off or given a caution which is not a criminal offense. Criminal damage sentencing is quite vague.. you could be fined a small amount, more than the machine was worth, you could go to prison if it was with intent and the very worst happens.. if you were drunk however that can be used in defense.

My advice would be to plead guilty straight away and (hopefully you were not sober) to say you were not in a normal state of mind, you got into a fight and things got out of hand. You are not normally like this, its your first problem with the police, you acted how you have never done before and you will cover the cost of a new machine. If you feel it is going very bad i would say something along the lines of you are willing to show you are truthfully sorry by aiding your local community/community you disrupted for however long the courts deem necessary, although i wouldn't know how this would hold up on a criminal damage charge as it might not be a public offense.

Im sure your not alone, scout some other forums where more people in your situation would be (TSR aint the best place lol)

If you do get a criminal conviction it will affect where you can travel depending on what you get charged with and also applying for a job, for example you couldn't become a teacher or a policemen etc..

Hope this helps mate.
    :rofl: That is just :facepalm2: FAIL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Ok first of all, you can't buy your way out of a criminal conviction. This isn't america. You commited a crime against the crown not just the booky. Criminal convictions are quite bad but not disasterous. You'll probably have to state what kind of crime you commited every time you go for a job. I'm not sure if it will stick with you for life, that's for the court to decide if it can be wiped after a some of years of good behaviour given the crime wasn't that serious.
    Up to there I would agree.

Pretty sure you can't represent yourself in court in the uk. Also I'm pretty sure you'll be provided with a lawyer anyway which will just as good as any lawyer you pay for.

No. Firstly, you can represent yourself in any court in the UK. It is a fundamental right.

Secondly, the lawyer you are provided with will be nowhere near as good as one you can have access to if you pay. Though for a straightforward charge of criminal damage and class B possession, there probably isn't much point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    :rofl: That is just :facepalm2: FAIL
    He knows of its epic scale dont you worry haha, down the side alley and got searched... what a *******.

ReputationRep:
    Wet your pants in court.

ReputationRep:
    Not that serious. Misspelling 'criminal', however, is an offence punishable by death!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLloyd)
    It will if he gets sent down
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I wouldn't know but whatever you do, don't drop the soap

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

:mmm:
    That picture is just horrifying :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    That picture is just horrifying :afraid:
    I know right? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)

Hope this helps mate.
    Don't give legal advice because you do not know what the **** you are talking about.

Anyone who is arrested for a crime whether they comitted it or not speak to a solicitor. In my experience you should initially always plead not guilty, regardless of whether you comitted a crime or not or got caught red handed.

Firstly, if you plead not guilty, then your solicitor may pleade with the crown prosecutor or procurator fiscal. The crown prosecutor may drop some of the charges if you turn your plea to guilty, this saves heaps loads of court expenses and time etc.

In my view only idiots plead guilty at the first instance. But go and see your solicitor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.