Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you tell a 7-digit number is divisible by 4 just by its digits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This cropped up in a permutations Q I was doing. For example, if the number ends in an even number, then it must be divisible by 2 and therefore even itself. But what about divisibility by 4? Can you tell by the end/start digits too?

ReputationRep:
    yes, because 100 is divisible by four .. therefore everything above the hundreds units is all you have to look at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a daedalus)
    yes, because 100 is divisible by four .. therefore everything above the hundreds units is all you have to look at
    I'm a bit confused, care to expand? My Q is actually about 7-digit numbers using 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6. How do I ensure divisibility by 4 here? With divisibility by 2, I'd just make sure I'd have 2, 4 or 6 as my 7th digit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics Enemy)
    I'm a bit confused, care to expand? My Q is actually about 7-digit numbers using 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6. How do I ensure divisibility by 4 here? With divisibility by 2, I'd just make sure I'd have 2, 4 or 6 as my 7th digit.
    Just make sure that whatever the last two digits are, if treated as a separate number, they are divisible by 4. eg. 12, 32, 64. Say the number was 1123364, the underlined bit must be divisible by 100, and therefore is divisible by 4 as well, so you only need to look at the last two digits.

ReputationRep:
    He means 100 is divisible by 4 therefore 200 is, 300 is, 10000 is etc. Therefore if you had 423843928492384 for example you would know that it is indeed divisible by 4 because 84 is divisible by 4.

ReputationRep:
    You said seven-digit number. Here are three, using the numbers you mentioned (and only ending in an even number as we've established that's necessary):

As the poster above says, one hundred is divisible by four. So if we take the hundreds units out of the equation:

These are all divisible by four. So the remainders are:

And now all you have to do is quickly check if these are divisible by four. Only the second one is, so only the second of the three numbers (3146132) is divisible by four.

I don't think I've explained it very well, but did the examples help at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Just make sure that whatever the last two digits are, if treated as a separate number, they are divisible by 4. eg. 12, 32, 64. Say the number was 1123364, the underlined bit must be divisible by 100, and therefore is divisible by 4 as well, so you only need to look at the last two digits.
    11233 is not divisible by 100 though.

EDIT: You mean 1123300 ... with the 64 tagged on. I see the point now regarding 100's.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: You mean 1123300 ... with the 64 tagged on.
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: You mean 1123300 ... with the 64 tagged on.
    Yeah exactly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    You said seven-digit number. Here are three, using the numbers you mentioned (and only ending in an even number as we've established that's necessary):

As the poster above says, one hundred is divisible by four. So if we take the hundreds units out of the equation:

These are all divisible by four. So the remainders are:

And now all you have to do is quickly check if these are divisible by four. Only the second one is, so only the second of the three numbers (3146132) is divisible by four.

I don't think I've explained it very well, but did the examples help at all?
    You explained it well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help guys/girls.

ReputationRep:
    The four-times table's terminal digit rotates vigesimally rather than decimally, that's the key to understanding the problem.

4, 8, 12, 16, 20. 24, 28 ...

ReputationRep:
    fwliw there's a wiki page of the divisibility rules for 1-20 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisib...1.26ndash.3B20

found it a few weeks ago when I was looking for something else.

ReputationRep:
    any number when the last two digits are divisible by 4 is divisible by 4 its how you can tell it will be an olympics year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mummyperson)
    any number when the last two digits are divisible by 4 is divisible by 4 its how you can tell it will be an olympics year
    The last Olympics was in 2010... 10/4=2.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    Eh? nobody counts the winter olympics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    She said any number (3 digits or longer) with its last 2 digits divisible by 4, will itself be divisible by 4. That doesn't mean a number's divisibility by 4 implies it's final 2 digits are also divisible by 4. We have A => B; not A <=> B.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.