Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fresher at Durham university. I got 7xA* + 4xA at GCSE, and 3xA* + 1xA at A-level. However so far in my "fresher career" I feel like I have done literally nothing. I'm reading economics and I've been to around 5 lectures since I've been here. For 1/6th of my course I do mandarin Chinese and that is all I learn.

We have a 40% pass rate, I think. If I fail, I don't think I'd be too fussed. I think I actually need a break. But if I did fail, would it be stupid to expect to get back into a high ranking university? Has anyone had experience with this? My head is hurting and I just need advice.

ReputationRep:
    How about you just make sure you don't fail? It's pretty difficult to completely FAIL something.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a fair attempt at everything, it's pretty hard to get below 40% imo!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you assume they'd kick you straight out? You get resits, you know. Either that, or you'd have to take the year again.

There was no point in telling us your GCSE and A-level grades, they mean absolutely nothing at university.

You sound like you basically need to get some willpower and start going to lectures and doing the work. Not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    You've still got ages in freshers how could you be thinking that so fast, just do your work and work hard. Oh and huh 40% pass rate, is this usual for uni.

Edit: oh right, 40% is pass mark, thought you meant something worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    But if I did fail, would it be stupid to expect to get back into a high ranking university? Has anyone had experience with this? My head is hurting and I just need advice.
    No it wouldn't be stupid. You aren't branded a failure for life and have no chance of going elsewhere. But you will have to display a commited work ethic and maturity.

But you're only reaching the end of the first term. It's far too early to start thinking so negatively. Why do you think your work ethic and motivation has been fairly poor? Are you sure you're on the correct course?

Pick up the pace in the second term. It is nigh on impossible to fail the first year (unless you have mitigating circumstances). If you fail it then in all liklehood you don't deserve to be at university.

Have you done all formatives for this term? If so have a break over Christmas, maybe do a little catch up reading, then start afresh next term.

(Original post by Hylean)
    Why do you assume they'd kick you straight out? You get resits, you know. Either that, or you'd have to take the year again.
    Yes. You can fail all modules at first year and still resit them all (though they're capped at 40%). Even then you can still fail 20 credits and progress to the second year.

Students aren't allowed to retake years unless they have significant mitigating circumstanes and, even then, you're usually sent "out of residence" on concession and not allowed to attend teaching. Which is nice.

Even in second year you can fail 60 credits, I think, and have the opportunity to do capped resits? You can even fail 80 although, if you do that, you need to give up 20 credits and accept it as failed and retake the other 60 (meaning you come away with a non-honours degree at best).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    I'm a fresher at Durham university. I got 7xA* + 4xA at GCSE, and 3xA* + 1xA at A-level. However so far in my "fresher career" I feel like I have done literally nothing. I'm reading economics and I've been to around 5 lectures since I've been here. For 1/6th of my course I do mandarin Chinese and that is all I learn.

We have a 40% pass rate, I think. If I fail, I don't think I'd be too fussed. I think I actually need a break. But if I did fail, would it be stupid to expect to get back into a high ranking university? Has anyone had experience with this? My head is hurting and I just need advice.
    I'm also doing economics at Durham, which modules are you doing? As there is so little left of this term I would have thought that the best thing to do now would be to give the formative exams next week your best attempt and use them to identify which modules you need to work more on. Almost all of the core economics (Elements) content is available on DUO, so if you read through that you won't necessarily have missed out from not going to the lectures.

If you have any specific questions about anything you've missed let me know, I'll do my best to summarize it for you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you put in enough effort you should get more than 40% and pass? I was certain I had not done well in some tests and got over 60% for nearly everything.. it is definately daunting trying to figure everything out but if you try your best and have some confidence I am sure you will get over 40%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.