Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone built a pc before? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/wishlist/VSDK7LVBNXIP

This is my wishlist on Amazon of components I'm going to be using to build a pretty nice PC, and hopefully before Christmas.
    This list was compiled by a close friend of mine but I like to get second opinions etc on the components.
    As of now the components altogether (see that it is TWO GPU's btw) comes around about 1500, a bit more for package and posting. Maybe if I'm lucky my parents can get me a component for a PC part and I can spend the money elsewhere, but that will all come in due course.
    First off let me justify a few bits of my wish list;
    I have no mouse or mouse pad, I have a RAT7 and they mouse pad will come from the Valve Store.
    I DON'T want Win7 Ultimate.
    The MoBo is pretty high end but that is so I can upgrade in the future on top of a fantastic motherboard chassis.
    (or so I'm told) 2 Zotac 460s work in SLI extremely well, and better so than 1 of the new 580s, so I will stick with those for now.

SO! Am I bottle-necking anywhere, am I spending unnecessary money, could I spend a little more somewhere and get a great boost in performance... your help will be monumental in making this a success.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this post, giving any information and advice, anything, any nugget of computer building information may well save me a lot of money, time, stress etc.
    So any tips on building the PC itself will be much welcomed as well as advice and opinions on what I've got ready to buy in my Amazon wish list.

*bonus question* - Xbox360 on top of this at some point for the HALO games (which I REALLY want to play)?

pic related, its what my case will look like.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    A few comments:
    -Firstly, a general one. Technology is always improving, and there comes a point where you have to say 'I'm not waiting for the next great thing to be out, I'll just get it now'. This is not that point: intel are releasing their next series of processors in January, and they should be significantly better than the current ones. Given that the life-cycle of a processor architecture is relatively long (a couple of years at least), I'd be kicking myself if I got an 1156 setup 3 weeks before 1155 and sandy bridge were released.
    -Following on from this, the motherboard is very good, but it's effectively end of life technology already, and there's not really anywhere to go in terms of upgrades. This is doubly true if you start off with two GPUs; at least if you only had one you could add another one in the future when prices drop. This is one of the reasons its usually better to start off with one powerful graphics card rather than two mid-range ones. The other reasons are power/heat/noise and driver support: on average two might be say 1.8x faster than one, but stuttering and low minimum frame rates are often a feature as well- at the very least, check it's a configuration that works with the games you like to play most. I would recommend a single 5870 or GTX470 (or wait for the 6970/6950, which are being released later this month), which will cost around £200 and be plenty powerful enough for all modern games at 1920x1080. The 6000 series are likely to be faster and have better multi-gpu scaling, but also be more expensive.
    -More specifically: the hard drive is overpriced and slower than the samsung spinpoint F3. At this budget you should be considering an SSD too (which makes a big difference to how fast things feel), and two mechanical drives would be a good idea.
    -Depending on how much you plan to overclock, the RAM is excessive. 2000MHz is pushing the capabilities of most memory controllers, and there's very little performance benefit (aside from maybe allowing you to run the base clock at a higher rate) to having faster RAM. You'd be better off with 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, which you can probably get for around £100.
    -The monitor (even supposedly reduced in price) is on the cheap side of things. Shiny plastic, poor range of adjustment and a TN panel. If gaming is the number one priority, it's OK (low response time) but something like the Dell u2311h (an IPS screen) is better quality, gives better colors and has a better range of adjustment, for a bit more cash and with a slightly higher response time. Up to you really.

So, in summary: wait for sandy bridge, the motherboard is excessively expensive, get a single fast GPU, swap the HDD for something faster and cheaper, think about an SSD, get more (slower) RAM, and think about a better monitor. But overall, the build is pretty decent, I just think it could be better.

ReputationRep:
    I had a long post typed out but a Database error has lost it all.
    So unfortunately I'm going to give you the short version, apologies.

Mobo - Sandy Bridge will take a while until it truly becomes affordable and usable. Even then, regular CPU technology will not be affected. I will still have the gaming power I have and again, the fact that it is not yet out and guaranteed will be inflated and incredibly expensive, I can't see myself getting an SB CPU for a long while. Meanwhile I'll stick with the CPU and powerful Mobo I have atm because I wish to upgrade from there.

SSD Drive - way to expensive at the moment, I'm waiting until half a terabyte SSD isn't 1000 pounds. Not money I want to spend on a single component at all. But I will look into the other HDD you mentioned, thank you.

2 460s in SLI will work better than a single 580, as I've read and watched from consumers and producers on reviews. It is also the cheaper option at the moment, and for my first PC build this will work well.

The monitor is exactly what I want, and the one you pointed out is smaller and about 60 pounds more expensive, I think the Samsung one is perfect for my needs at the moment. I have seen it IRL and I think it looks fantastic and its capabilities are just what I need, if not more. A great and cheaper 1080p monitor.

The RAM - Good idea, I will look into it.

Sorry for the condensed version, but ofc I don't want to write 2 essays, I have work anyway in a bit. Thanks for your reply, I will this information in deciding what I want to actually purchase.
    Do you have anything to counter with what I've said?
    Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comissargramsci)
    I had a long post typed out but a Database error has lost it all.
    So unfortunately I'm going to give you the short version, apologies.

Mobo - Sandy Bridge will take a while until it truly becomes affordable and usable.
    No it won't. Trust me on this. I build PCs to fund my education, and buy maybe £30-50k in parts every year, so I have fairly good links with some of the UK stores (chiefly OCUK).
    The motherboards will retail at £90-220 a launch, and the cpus at £80-275.
    That's only for the january LGA 1155 launch, but the K series chips are blazingly fast and excellent overclockers. Wait til january.

Even then, regular CPU technology will not be affected. I will still have the gaming power I have and again, the fact that it is not yet out and guaranteed will be inflated and incredibly expensive, I can't see myself getting an SB CPU for a long while. Meanwhile I'll stick with the CPU and powerful Mobo I have atm because I wish to upgrade from there.
    I think you're going about this the wrong way. What you're doing is the equivalent of buying a Qx9650 based system just before the i7 series came out in 2008, bearing in mind that i7 processors are the same price now that they were two years ago.

SSD Drive - way to expensive at the moment, I'm waiting until half a terabyte SSD isn't 1000 pounds. Not money I want to spend on a single component at all. But I will look into the other HDD you mentioned, thank you.
    Just buy a 60 or 120GB Vertex 2 for the operating system. Trust me, it makes the single biggest difference in PC performance I've seen for any component. My PC now goes from the login screen to finished booting with all my programs running in about 3-4 seconds.

Other notes:

-The corsair H50 isn't very good (I know, I own one) and so I would recommend a noctua NH-D14.
    -You're very much paying over the odds for that processor (£30 more than I paid for the same thing 14 months ago). If you wait 4 weeks the i5-2500k will cost all of maybe £20 more than that and will be MUCH faster.
    -You could get a 22 inch 3d capable monitor for maybe £20 more than that one, if that's of interest.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with Sandy Bridge is that it's on a well established process and the motherboards are almost identical to 1156 ones, so the chances are that availability will be high when it's released (January 9th, probably). Early indications have put the i7 2500k at around £170. Even if you don't get one, prices of the current, fairly old processors should go down too, so either would be fine.

The main point I'd question is spending an awful lot on an expensive motherboard, so much that you could get an i7 950 and a rather excellent X58 board for less than the i5/p55 setup, giving you a platform that's better in most respects, as well as having an actual upgrade path. It just makes no sense to spend £250 on a board that still has most of the limitations of any other (inherently mid-range) P55 board. If you want to start of with SLI that's fine, but it does limit your upgrade options.

ReputationRep:
    Pricey case,
    expensive MOBO
    Low-middle processor
    Expensive keyboard
    Flash cooler (the boxed CPU comes with a cooler+fan)

Take a look at the bundles on overclockers co uk

I just built (running stock, will o/c later):
    i7-860
    8GB Corsair DDR3
    Asus P55D
    128GB Kingston SSD
    1TB WD Black

re-used
    case
    keyboard
    mouse
    DVD ROM

bought s/h ATI HD4870x2 for £50

Got change from £900

Check out student prices on software. With that amount of RAM and that Graphics card, you will need the 64bit version of Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drichard)
    bought s/h ATI HD4870x2 for £50
    :eek:
    Where'd you find that?

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I was planning on selling one of those this week and want to get more than fifty quid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    Damn, I was planning on selling one of those this week and want to get more than fifty quid!
    I saw one go last week for £140.
    £50 is an absolute steal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the guy knew what it was worth - he'd just "Upgraded" to a HD5970 and wanted rid of it - so I obliged (150 mile round trip to collect though).

Gives me a windows experience of 7.1 before I start tuning it (it's the slowest thing in the PC).

ReputationRep:
    PRICEY CASE?
    I've been advised by professionals that this case is an absolutely fantastic starter case, I've seen it IRL and I believe so too.
    SSD Drive - Ok, just for the OS I think either I will get one or just deal with a slower start up, which really I can.
    Processor is definitely middle, and primarily I will be gaming so a processor isn't a big factor in gaming quality. It's GPUs, which I'm doing well enough in atm.
    Expensive MOBO - True. I'm having second thoughts.
    Expensive keyboard - I'm very particular about the keyboard I want, and this fits the bill for me perfectly. I really, really like it, I don't think I can be swayed.
    Stock fan is not recommended for use. Safe but not exactly great. One of you is telling me to upgrade my cooler and another is saying stock cooler is fine. Oh difference of opinion!

And to top all this off, I just saw the bundle deals on overclockers.co.uk.
    HOLY FUKKEN ****.
    I may well ditch this current system and jump on one of those steals!
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE LINK.

ReputationRep:
    Scratch the last, I might not go with a bundle.. still contemplating.

btw no, 3d I really don't want. PC gaming makes me look sad enough without wearing 3d goggles.

ReputationRep:
    I still think you'd be mad to not wait for the new sandy bridge chips.
    I mean, it's less than a month now until they're released, and a core i5-2500k plus a gigabyte P67-UD4 would come in cheaper than the motherboard/processor combination you posted in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

-The corsair H50 isn't very good (I know, I own one) and so I would recommend a noctua NH-D14.
    Whats wrong with the H50 o_O mine seems fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    Meh, it's just not very good once you start trying to push more than about 3.8Ghz.
    so for medium-level overclocking it's fine, but it doesn't perform up there with the likes of the noctua.
    Also it seems to collect a lot more dust than most of the air coolers I've used, I have to clean mine out at least every two months (running two scythe slipstreams in push-pull).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Meh, it's just not very good once you start trying to push more than about 3.8Ghz.
    so for medium-level overclocking it's fine, but it doesn't perform up there with the likes of the noctua.
    Also it seems to collect a lot more dust than most of the air coolers I've used, I have to clean mine out at least every two months (running two scythe slipstreams in push-pull).
    ahh right, mine does collect allot of dust especially the radiator block which increases the temps a bit, need to clean my machine during the holidays, the reason i chose the h50 was i didnt like air cooled in particular nor am i going high end full water cooled system.

Where the rear of the PC is, its pointed at the coldest part of the room, whilst the rest of the room is pretty warm, so it draws in fairly cold air. Standard air cooling in my room would just heat the room up

Haven't yet switched to push pull yet, which fans would you recommend for push pull, and were did you buy the mounting screws, or did you just take 2 off diagonally from the original and used 2 in dragon for each fan.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, but you can get better ones for same/similar price. They days of it being a good choice are over given more recent developments.

The Noctua NH-D14 is very good (but huge), but I'd go for the Thermalright Silver Arrow at the moment, it's slightly cheaper and about the same/marginally better than the Noctua. Plus the stock fans are great.

For 1TB hard drives, get the Samsung Spinpoint F3, it's a great price atm (around £42) and is pretty much the fastest available.

Also, get your components from sites such as Ebuyer, Scan, OCUK and Aria as they are all a lot cheaper than Amazon

ReputationRep:
    Where the rear of the PC is, its pointed at the coldest part of the room, whilst the rest of the room is pretty warm, so it draws in fairly cold air. Standard air cooling in my room would just heat the room up
    Having it exhaust out the case will make it perform much better...

And the whole point is that it DOES heat your room up. You're removing heat from the components and putting them out into the environment. There is no difference between water cooling and air cooling in terms of what is does with the heat, they both dump it (hopefully) as far away from the components as possible.

I can't believe you're running your fans as an intake... seriously try them the other way round, because at the moment basically you're stuffing your PC case full of hot air, that is only going to warm the components up more!

ReputationRep:
    Don't get it from amazon, get it from ebuyer/oc'ers/etc.

ReputationRep:
    Mobo is a waste of time & cash - get something half the price.
    SLI isn't great as it isn't always supported - just get a HD6870 and a 600W PSU. Monitor is a ripoff and LED backlighting is pointless - just get a similar monitor and save yourself £50. Case is overkill, get triple channel ram instead of CL9 2000Hz - try CL7 1600Mhz. Water cooler is waste of time, just get a cheaper fan based cooler.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.