Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help on gaining weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm female, 18, 5'7" and I weigh about 7 and a half stone... Possibly 8 if I'm lucky

What I'm wanting to know is, what weight should I be for my height/age and how do I get there? I don't have the biggest of appetites in the world either (although I did eat 3 meals today, wooo!) so help on that would also be good!

ReputationRep:

7.5 stones = 105 pounds

Judging from the graph, at 5'7'', you should weight about 9 stones to be easily within the 'Healthy weight' category.

As to 'gaining weight', I can't really give any advice other than to eat more :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    I'm female, 18, 5'7" and I weigh about 7 and a half stone... Possibly 8 if I'm lucky

What I'm wanting to know is, what weight should I be for my height/age and how do I get there? I don't have the biggest of appetites in the world either (although I did eat 3 meals today, wooo!) so help on that would also be good!
    If you really want to gain weight (I doubt it), GOMAD.

Gallon Of Milk A Day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedsdude)

7.5 stones = 105 pounds

Judging from the graph, at 5'7'', you should weight about 9 stones to be easily within the 'Healthy weight' category.

As to 'gaining weight', I can't really give any advice other than to eat more :P
    thanks, that gives me something to aim for

ReputationRep:

LOL u dont really want to gain weight do you? I mean I'm all for females forsaking the stick insect look but I have genuinely never met a female that said she wants to gain weight. As said do GOMAD and invest in some squats to improve posterior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    If you really want to gain weight (I doubt it), GOMAD.

Gallon Of Milk A Day
    I really do want to gain weight, I've been skinny all my life and I'd just like to be an average size!

Thanks for the response however I used to be lactose intollerant so this really wouldn't work for me! Although I do have milk with cereal and tea, that's about my limit or else I'd be sick again haha

ReputationRep:
    Lol is this serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    LOL u dont really want to gain weight do you? I mean I'm all for females forsaking the stick insect look but I have genuinely never met a female that said she wants to gain weight. As said do GOMAD and invest in some squats to improve posterior
    No seriously, I do :P I've been underweight all my life (due to being a coeliac and other intollerances) and it really bugs me, I'd just like to be an average weight instead of below or over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    Lol is this serious?
    yes... I used to be bullied in school because I was under-weight and people still comment on how skinny I am, it really annoys me!

ReputationRep:
    No seriously, I do :P I've been underweight all my life (due to being a coeliac and other intollerances) and it really bugs me, I'd just like to be an average weight instead of below or over!
    okay...well then get to munching

a gallon of milk a day is a pretty full proof and fairly cheap option to gaining weight otherwise you could try some carb powders like maltodextrin and dextrose

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from... Im 5"9.5 (yes that 0.5 is important) and atm I'm 6 stone 4lbs.

If anything its hard to find clothes that fit, not to mention the lack of a derriere and boobage. So I understand

The best advice I was given was, drink a glass of full fat milk in addition to every meal. Havent tried it (not a big fan of dairy) but I can how that would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I understand where you are coming from... Im 5"9.5 (yes that 0.5 is important) and atm I'm 6 stone 4lbs.

If anything its hard to find clothes that fit, not to mention the lack of a derriere and boobage. So I understand

The best advice I was given was, drink a glass of full fat milk in addition to every meal. Havent tried it (not a big fan of dairy) but I can how that would work.
    hehehe I'm such a child!

but yeah, I understand I might try drinking more tea and having two bowls of cereal so that I can drink more milk haha

ReputationRep:
    OP gain muscle not fat, and I agree with investing in squats to improve posterior

(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)

You worry me

7.5 stones = 105 pounds

BMI is ****, according to my BMI I'm overweight yet I'm perhaps the slimmest I've ever been, far better test is body fat %

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    BMI is ****, according to my BMI I'm overweight yet I'm perhaps the slimmest I've ever been
    "slimmest I've ever been" doesn't imply that you're slim now!

On a serious note, BMI is all she really has to go on in terms of being able to assess it quickly and easily. Sure, it's not particularly accurate, but unless she goes to a gym etc. to get her body fat percentage calculated, it's all she's got to go on (other than instinct, I guess).

Perhaps this will help:

Body fat % = (1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x Age) - 5.4
    (from Wikipedia)

Her BMI = 48 / (1.7^2) = 16.6
    (that's 48kg, 1.7m)

So her body fat % should be around...
    (1.2 x 16.6) + (0.23 x 18) - 5.4 = 19.92 + 4.14 - 5.4 = 18.66

According to the same Wikipedia article, the average for adult women is 25-31%.

ReputationRep:
    "slimmest I've ever been" doesn't imply that you're slim now!

On a serious note, BMI is all she really has to go on in terms of being able to assess it quickly and easily. Sure, it's not particularly accurate, but unless she goes to a gym etc. to get her body fat percentage calculated, it's all she's got to go on (other than instinct, I guess).

Perhaps this will help:

(from Wikipedia)

(that's 48kg, 1.7m)

This equation doesn't make BMI anymore valid in calculating body fat%.It just changes it slightly depending on age lol. You've completely misssed the point mate.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this will help:

(from Wikipedia)

(that's 48kg, 1.7m)

That is probably even less helpful than just BMI as it makes stupid assumptions based on your BMI and age.

This site is not perfect but gives a good rough idea of body fat percentage a lot better then the BMI/Age of someone...
    http://howfatru.com/bodyfat-kg-entry.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    This equation doesn't make BMI anymore valid in calculating body fat%.It just changes it slightly depending on age lol. You've completely misssed the point mate.
    I didn't miss the point, I just felt that I would provide the best estimate she has at the moment without actually getting her body fat percentage calculated by a 'professional', so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't miss the point, I just felt that I would provide the best estimate she has at the moment without actually getting her body fat percentage calculated by a 'professional', so to speak.
    Trust me son, you've missed the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Trust me son, you've missed the point.
    OK, troll.

ReputationRep:

eat more

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.