Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't drink..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started a new school, so i have a new group of friends who I don't know as well as my old friends. We are going camping this weekend to say goodbye to someone who is leaving and I know there will be drink involved (Again because I don't know them I don't know how much they will be planning on having etc).
    This may sound like a stupid question but should I tell them straight that I don't drink? :confused:
    Because I know they will ask why, but I don't really have a reason, its just one of those things y'know? Should I make up some excuse? I have this dilemma mainly because I don't know them as well as my old friends, who have known me for long enough that they just accepted it...

For anyone who has actually bothered to read this/reply then thank you!

(Ps. I can't use the ''I'll drive'' excuse because I'm still on my Learners licence).

ReputationRep:
    Say you hate the taste of it, or that you know an alcoholic or something. I don't normally advise lying but I've been in that situation before and know that teenagers are weirdly unreasonable when it comes to someone not drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Just say I don't drink. I have a friend who doesn't drink when he goes out. Only difference is he makes a big show of it "I don't drink guys!!!"

ReputationRep:
    I was so gonna suggest the Des Driver thing till I saw the PS.

That's often the excuse I use.

Although I have one particular friend who loves going out drinking and ordering like double jack and coke. . . so I give the money to my boyfriend, tell her he'll order drinks for us. . . she gets the double jack and coke. . . i get the same . . . without the jack. . . and she is none the wiser

I know one person who used to tell everyone he is allergic to alcohol, just so he didnt have to drink it. . . try that?

I know how you feel though, I'm the same and just saying 'no thanks, I don't drink' rarely does the trick

ReputationRep:
    Either just tell them you don't drink, or make yourself the world's weakest mixed drinks.

ReputationRep:
    Bring some ginger ale/lemonade/etc and sip that.
    If they can't accept you not drinking then don't hang around with them. There's no point making up excuses because when they find out that you're lying it'll be awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your concern, as I always imagine other teenagers to think I'm strange for not drinking, however there shouldn't be a problem.

I reckon just try not to make a big deal of it - try to relax and be yourself, and show them that you don't need a drink to have a good time. So long as your joining in with their games/conversation etc etc and showing them you're enjoying yourself then it shouldn't matter to them that you're not drinking. Make sure to have some sort of 'beverage' (I know some people see drink as a social thing, and it's seemingly 'antisocial' to not have a drink-in-hand!).

Hope that helps and that you have a great time camping with your new friends!

ReputationRep:
    say u have a driving lesson in the morning? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So many people write about this.

You don't drink. Some people don't eat meat. Some people like jeans and some don't.

If they're going to give you a hard time about it, I doubt they're the kind of friends worth keeping.

I don't drink either and once told someone it was against my religion, which only led to more questions. So don't say that. Just say you don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you don't want to drink.

If they're half-way normal they won't think anything of it, some people just prefer not to. The best thing to do is not to make a big deal of it. Non-drinkers seem to think it's a huge thing, for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest and say you don't drink, it's not a problem, if they make it one then it's their problem, not yours.

I didn't drink until I was about 19 so the first year or two I used to just stay on coke or lemonade, no one really bothered, my main group of friends weren't bothered, other people I knew from college weren't bothered and I knew some other people who didn't drink. It's just the person's choice, if they don't drink they don't need an excuse, same way that people who do drink don't need an excuse as to why they drink.

Strangely now though I feel as though when I do choose a coke over a beer some of my mates seem really shocked and keep going on about it so I do need an excuse then.

If you feel you really do need an excuse or they seem a bit off with you about it just say you don't like the taste of beer or alcohol as it makes you feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    Say that you can't keep the drink down, and unless they want vomit all over their tents, then thats why you aren't drinking?

ReputationRep:
    Say you suffer from Alcohol Intollerence.

Or just say you don't drink because you don't want to...

ReputationRep:
    Just say you don't want to drink. If they have a problem then just think to yourself, are they really worthy to be you friends?

ReputationRep:
    Just drink. You might actually enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want, a medal? I don't either, and all I've ever got for it is abuse and being told I'm pathetic. :rolleyes:

I didn't have very nice friends. Now, I don't have any.

ReputationRep:
    tell them youre allergic

ReputationRep:
    just tell them how it is basically. say along the lines of ' look i have to be honest, i dont like drinking alcohol, please respect my objection to [email protected]'. if they are your friends they will understand. you can still have a good time without drink being involved

ReputationRep:
    replying to kraytos90. lol. you may have a point der pal

ReputationRep:
    to the sownrose. u are wrong Jesus if your friend and the only friend u will ever need. just trust in him

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.