Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nvidia 1GB GTX 460 VS ATI Radeon 1Gb 6850 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone which is better one to go for, ive searched and look around but there seems to be no clear winner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Does anyone which is better one to go for, ive searched and look around but there seems to be no clear winner?
    I'd just get the cheaper one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    6850 140£ and the other is 139£ (gtx 460)

making this a very hard decision

ReputationRep:
    Does your motherboard support SLI, crossfire or both? Would you like to be able to connect 3 displays at once? Do you play games using PhysX? How about [email protected]? Which is faster for the particular games you prefer? How are the warranties? The two cards are close enough that there's little difference in performance, both overclock well and scale well in multi-GPU configurations, so it really comes down to the extras. Either card would be an excellent choice for most games.

ReputationRep:
    ^I'll echo this.
    But from what I've seen so far (only tried out a couple of 6850's though) the 460 can overclock a bit better, although obviously that will vary from one to another.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    Does your motherboard support SLI, crossfire or both? Would you like to be able to connect 3 displays at once? Do you play games using PhysX? How about [email protected]? Which is faster for the particular games you prefer? How are the warranties? The two cards are close enough that there's little difference in performance, both overclock well and scale well in multi-GPU configurations, so it really comes down to the extras. Either card would be an excellent choice for most games.
    Neither only buying the one card next upgrade will be card + pc in few years , most gaming will be done at 1440 x 900 somtimes rarely it wil be at full HD on my plasma, I got metro but i rarely play it thats only game ive seen Phyx on, dunno about which works better for games i play, i play games like civilistation 5, starcraft 2 . Both offer same warrenty

ReputationRep:
    TechPowerUp's review of the ATI 6850 tells me that it can best the Nvidia 460 in Crysis and COD 4 (Only when maxxed out full AA and AF) so must be better for Gaming on Optimised and not so Optimised Games.

Either way you will be cracking over 60 FPS in most games and have EyeFinity support - up to 6 displays with one card.

I guess though we will need your spec to fins a review that tests both card with a similar spec to yours.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=33064

This is my mobo, Cpu is e8500, 4gb ram.

I am leaning towards the ATi option simpally because in the past i ahve used them the most and know my way around the driver/CCC alot better

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait before buying any ATI 68XX card.
    Cyman is just around the corner. (ATI/AMD's next high performace graphics card) which means that once its realeased the price of the 68XX series cards will drop. = MORE MONIES FOR JOO YAY

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,2776-10.html

It varies, so go for which ever company/brand/drivers/price you prefer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.