Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Repeat prescription for the Pill Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

Back in the summer I went to my GP and asked to go on the Pill for regulation. I was given the POP but I it was Cerazette and I was one of those people that stopped it all together/would get totall irregular bleeding and I hated it. I couldn't understand why I should take it seeing as the main reason was for me to regulate my periods.

So. I stopped that and when I returned to uni I was my doctor here and after a discussion we prescribed my Microgynon 30. Just what I was hoping for (or at least one of the combined.) Everything seems to be going alright so far, the first month was literally hell yet my second has gone relatively smoothly. I've only one pack left but it wont last me over the holidays.

My question is when I call up the medical centre and ask to make an appointment (because I never got to this stage the first time round) do I ask to see a nurse or a doctor? And does it have to be the same doctor who I saw the first time round? I know the nurse normally does it after I've been given the all clear but I don't when she comes in to play. The GP didn't say anything to me when I got it either.

Thanks guys! Sorry it sounds silly but first time and all that!

ReputationRep:
    Errrr it should be the nurse i think but when you phone up to make an appointment just ask x

ReputationRep:
    When I need a repeat prescription I just email my doctor and they write one up without having to see me. I only have to go in a for a blood pressure check with the nurse once a year.

ReputationRep:
    I used to take Microgynon 30 for a while to regulate my periods while also having the implant. When I went to see a nurse to get another prescription, she said that I had to be seen by a doctor instead because I wasn't getting it for the usual contraceptive reasons. :/

That might just have been to do with my specific case, or the fact I hadn't truly been prescribed it before (I was just given the pills when I had my implant). Tell your situation to the receptionist when you book your appointment and they should tell you who you need to see.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends are on it for the same reason and (as far as I know) it's been ok with them. I can twist the truth ever so slightly as ultimately that'll be the main reason (just a matter of time hopefully!). I've booked it with the nurse Monday so if there is a problem I have time to make another appointment during the week before I go back for the holidays.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    I just turn up at the prescription desk and ask. Then go back two days later to get them. I don't think you need to have an appointment to see anyone if there's a place that gives out prescriptions in the surgery. :dontknow: Well I don't anyway lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on that pill. They normally want to check your blood pressure and stuff after the first three months, so you can make an appointment with a nurse who is also able to write prescriptions for you. That's what I did for mine, rather than going to see the doctor. She then gave me a prescription for one year, and I just drop that in to the pharmacy every three months to get some more, and don't have to go back to see her for another year.

ReputationRep:
    Ask for a nurse appointment, but say its for a repeat prescription, so that way they usually have the presciption signed and ready for you rather than you having to have your appointment then wait for it, but seeing as you've only recently began that pill you'll probably need a check up too!

The nurse you see should be able to tell what you need anyway as she can see what you're taking, so will probably sort out the prescription before you arrive

ReputationRep:
    What do you email your doctor saying?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Hello all!

Back in the summer I went to my GP and asked to go on the Pill for regulation. I was given the POP but I it was Cerazette and I was one of those people that stopped it all together/would get totall irregular bleeding and I hated it. I couldn't understand why I should take it seeing as the main reason was for me to regulate my periods.

So. I stopped that and when I returned to uni I was my doctor here and after a discussion we prescribed my Microgynon 30. Just what I was hoping for (or at least one of the combined.) Everything seems to be going alright so far, the first month was literally hell yet my second has gone relatively smoothly. I've only one pack left but it wont last me over the holidays.

My question is when I call up the medical centre and ask to make an appointment (because I never got to this stage the first time round) do I ask to see a nurse or a doctor? And does it have to be the same doctor who I saw the first time round? I know the nurse normally does it after I've been given the all clear but I don't when she comes in to play. The GP didn't say anything to me when I got it either.

Thanks guys! Sorry it sounds silly but first time and all that!
    Either should be fine. Usually for repeat prescriptions you just need to write a request (your surgery will probably have an email and a box in the surgery for requests), but with the pill you can need to have regular checks (about every 6 months). The nurse will do those and it's just a simple blood pressure and weight check.
    I would suggest you ask if you are due for a check and, as long as you don't have any concerns or want to change anything, book to see the nurse. While you are there you can check how everything works so you will know next time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.