Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year at LSE studying econ and econ history bt Im finding thr two maths modules really hard and will most likely fail them. However I want to go into private wealth management at an investment bank in the future
    Is it better to get a higher grade ib economic history than a lower one in economics which is a more mathematical degree?
    Do investment banks care more about the grade or the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Grade

ReputationRep:
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoopyx)
    Im a first year at LSE studying econ and econ history bt Im finding thr two maths modules really hard and will most likely fail them. However I want to go into private wealth management at an investment bank in the future
    Is it better to get a higher grade ib economic history than a lower one in economics which is a more mathematical degree?
    Do investment banks care more about the grade or the subject?
    For PWM, the degree is almost irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    What IB recruiter would give a damn about Adam Smith, Jean-Baptiste Say and Léon Walras ?

While you might land an interview with a Economic History degree at a IB structure, those math modules you abandoned will prove crucial to perform in a bank. You'd probably get fired without those skills.

Harsh reality, dude. Math is important in IB.
    There's still consultancy left though.

ReputationRep:
    switch degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    What IB recruiter would give a damn about Adam Smith, Jean-Baptiste Say and Léon Walras ?

While you might land an interview with a Economic History degree at a IB structure, those math modules you abandoned will prove crucial to perform in a bank. You'd probably get fired without those skills.

Harsh reality, dude. Math is important in IB.
    There's still consultancy left though.
    Ben Bernanke has a degree in economic history.

History and economic history are both routes into IB, if we are talking LSE/ Oxbridge, shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Ben Bernanke has a degree in economic history.

History and economic history are both routes into IB, if we are talking LSE/ Oxbridge, shouldn't be a problem.
    He has a Economics Bachelor (Harvard) + Ph.D at M.I.T.
    And it doesn't seem to be Economics history. Could be wrong though =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    He has a Economics Bachelor (Harvard) + Ph.D at M.I.T.
    And it doesn't seem to be Economics history. Could be wrong though =/
    Actually I think you're right. I think Ben Bernanke often gets classified as an economic historian because he did a PhD thesis on the Great Depression.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Bernanke has an MBA from stanford actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Actually I think you're right. I think Ben Bernanke often gets classified as an economic historian because he did a PhD thesis on the Great Depression.
    He loved/loves SVAR.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Based on personal experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tourist)
    Yes

Based on personal experience
    Hi can I ask more about what you did.. did you swtich after first year or during first year? did you take econ b, ma100?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    After first year, took all of the above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tourist)
    After first year, took all of the above
    SO you did Econ and econ history in first year then redid doing econ history??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.