Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ellelloyd

I wasn't going to reply as the post is from several months ago but it seemed so sad so I thought I would give you some advice, if you still need it!

I went to Leeds, graduated last year, and was in a similar situation at the end of my first term in halls. However, with a little effort, by the time I left uni I had friends in all sorts of groups and loved it. I stayed living with the same people I had been in halls with (I was very lucky!) but also the people I met doing different activities made it such an amazing experience.

The union, specifically the 300+ societies, are brilliant to make new friends and be welcomed. It could be worth joining one you already have an interest in, or trying something completely new in one of the GiveItAGo sessions they regularly do. Lots of new members will be in the same situation as you.

Also, you could try volunteering. Either through the union (volunteering office is upstairs near the exec) or through the uni- Access and Community Engagement office is just next to Halo and they're really friendly. They also offer regular paid work which is where I met some of my best friends!
    A final piece of advice, don't be embarassed talking to new people. A lot of the time, people will respect you having the balls to do it and you'll find some common ground. Hope you're having a better time now and you have no need for this advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.