Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lectures and Going to the loo phobia Watch

I am a uni student and have a phobia of going to the loo during lectures for fear of taking a long time missing lots and people commenting on my dissappearance for this period of time.

This has caused me to skip some lectures complete because I feel like I need to go but will take too long if I go before the lecture and miss the beginning and don't want to leave part way through and not come back till the end

Can anyone help
    thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Er....just hold it, it's only an hour. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the loo just before?

ReputationRep:
    lolwut?

Either go before or just hold it, both are easily possible. And the idea that people will comment on you being gone is ludicrous.

What's with the neg? I don't care if it's something deserving, but what did I say?

ReputationRep:
    Ive never understood this. On my first day of uni, a girl asked one of our tutors if we're allowed to go to the loo during lectures...I mean come on! This sort of thing is expected from 10 years olds. Not 18+, legally adult, university students. Is really that hard not to wait, or go beforehand if you think you're going to need to go?

Grow up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    What's with the neg? I don't care if it's something deserving, but what did I say?
    Apparently OP has a bladder problem and can't hold it for an hour?

Beats me too. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well, i'm surprised everyone else thinks this is odd. I too panic about going to the loo at work and LOTS of girls also have this fear when at a boyfriends house etc. I dont exactly panic as much about the length of time, but the thought of being heard really concerns me - although going to the bathroom is absolutley natural! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Loo)L

ReputationRep:
    Go just before. If you need to go again within an hour or two you should probably see a doctor anyway, that ain't right.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    very good book. may give you some helpful pointers!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Poo-Work...1912526&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    You can't just go before a lecture?

I can hold it for hours! Cos I'm cool like that

ReputationRep:
    Either go before (and I mean more than 5-10 mins before the start of the lecture) or wait until the lecture is over. If you need to go every half hour or something, consult a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    OP - do you mean for a wee or a poo?? (Yeah I know that sounds like kiddie talk but I couldnt think of another way to phrase it)

If its number 2, you need to see a doctor. Sounds like you're stressing yourself out and its making you need the loo. Whats your diet like? Does this happen regularly or is it just when you have lectures at uni?

If you mean number 1, try and go just before you sit down to start the lecture. And if you need to go, just get up and leave. I highly doubt anyone will notice. My lectures are normally 3.5 hours long and people are always coming in/out but people dont pay any attention to it - plus the toilets are really far away from the lecture theatres so it takes ages to walk there and back. If you feel an urgency to go suddenly and you feel like you cant hold it then you need to see your GP as they will be able to help you with bladder exercises to build up the strength of your bladder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livvy-x)
    Well, i'm surprised everyone else thinks this is odd. I too panic about going to the loo at work and LOTS of girls also have this fear when at a boyfriends house etc. I dont exactly panic as much about the length of time, but the thought of being heard really concerns me - although going to the bathroom is absolutley natural! xx
    This. I panic about being heard AND the length of time. If other people are in the loo room doing their hair or whatever, I can't go, it's like "stage fright" lol.

Why are all the guys saying it's weird? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    This. I panic about being heard AND the length of time. If other people are in the loo room doing their hair or whatever, I can't go, it's like "stage fright" lol.

Why are all the guys saying it's weird? :dontknow:
    Because it is. Using the toilet isn't exactly something you have a choice about, so why be embarrassed? Save embarrassment for stuff like liking Eurovision or reading Twilight.

That's happened to me before lol

ReputationRep:
      Because it is. Using the toilet isn't exactly something you have a choice about, so why be embarrassed? Save embarrassment for stuff like liking Eurovision or reading Twilight.
      It's not weird at all. Using the toilet is private and a personal thing. I don't want random people hearing me pee! Plus it's really off putting and you feel pressured.

ReputationRep:
      Maybe the problem is the fear itself? I know that if you are anxious / afraid / nervous you'll have to go to the toilet more frequently, so it isn't rare to happen that you have to go that often jhust because you are afraid of not going. So - I'd advice you to go before the lecture and if you haven't drunk very much and need to go again after 1 hour or so just tell yourself you don't need to. It's conditioning...you program yourself to have this urgency to pee before/in the lectures. You have to relax.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
      Take that back. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
      I lol'ed. Thanks for that!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.