Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is generally a reasonable amount of time to lose 2 stones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviouslt it is different for everyone, depending on how much one excercises and eats etc

but what would be a reasonable target if one was to eat less than normal and do moderate workouts 2 or 3 times a week at the gym?

Im not asking for anything exact, but just what would be a reasonable expectation

do you think 3 months is not enough time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Obviouslt it is different for everyone, depending on how much one excercises and eats etc

but what would be a reasonable target if one was to eat less than normal and do moderate workouts 2 or 3 times a week at the gym?

Im not asking for anything exact, but just what would be a reasonable expectation

Of course it's not, unless you starve yourself. And even if you did that it'd go straight back on. I'd say 6 months absolute minimum.

ReputationRep:
    well, the general rule is 2 lbs a week for safe weight loss and 2 stone is 28 lbs so that's 14 weeks minimum...

That's like 3 and a half months make it 4 to be on the safe side...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)

Yeah about 3 or 4 months if you're undergoing a very efficient diet and cutting regimen. Hard to do though. I would realistically suggest 4-5 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomidawn)
    Of course it's not, unless you starve yourself. And even if you did that it'd go straight back on. I'd say 6 months absolute minimum.
    Starving oneself has always been a ****ty method of weight loss. However a ketogenic period of weightloss or one where you cycle a deficit of carbs or fats is pretty good at cutting weight fast. 6 months is actually rather lengthy.

ReputationRep:
    you mean how long it takes to start exercising? Save the money, get the gear, find a place, find a partner, get going....

ReputationRep:
    The more fat you have now, the faster it will be. You should get much faster results in the first couple of weeks so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    hey mate if your serious check out lipotrim, i lost like 2 stone in the summer, then stopped for uni, back on lookin to lose the other 2stones by christmas, it honestly works

ReputationRep:
    One problem with trying to lose weight too quickly is your body is smart. It sees there's a great reduction in food intake. Then you start exercising and it realizes you are using more energy and your reserves.

The result is it starts to try and store even more fat to keep in reserve. This is why the crash course diets are such a failure. Sure you can lose weight but it goes straight back on again if you stop or relax your routine.

A longer time period and a more gradual reduction tends to give more longer lasting results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johncoen)
    One problem with trying to lose weight too quickly is your body is smart. It sees there's a great reduction in food intake. Then you start exercising and it realizes you are using more energy and your reserves.

The result is it starts to try and store even more fat to keep in reserve. This is why the crash course diets are such a failure. Sure you can lose weight but it goes straight back on again if you stop or relax your routine.

A longer time period and a more gradual reduction tends to give more longer lasting results.
    Reducing food intake arbitrarily is one of the most ineffective methods of weight loss. Its neither fast or sustainable, no one in their right mind would ever suggest it here.

ReputationRep:
    A year or so? It depends on your starting weight. 3 months is almost certainly unrealistic. These things shouldn't be rushed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    A year or so? It depends on your starting weight. 3 months is almost certainly unrealistic. These things shouldn't be rushed.
    An entire year to lose 2 stones? That's ridiculous. He'd have to be losing 0.5lb per week - i.e practically nothing. If the OP safely loses 2lbs a week doing exercise and cutting out junk food and snacks, it would take 3-4 months max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    An entire year to lose 2 stones? That's ridiculous. He'd have to be losing 0.5lb per week - i.e practically nothing. If the OP safely loses 2lbs a week doing exercise and cutting out junk food and snacks, it would take 3-4 months max.
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    That was my view once as well, but apparently you do need to take it reaally slowly. As I said, it depends on your starting weight; if you're only 10st to start with, 2lb every week would be quite rapid. Also, simply cutting out junk food and snacks is not a realistic plan that can be maintained once the weight is off; doing it slowly gives you time to adjust to a new lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    That was my view once as well, but apparently you do need to take it reaally slowly. As I said, it depends on your starting weight; if you're only 10st to start with, 2lb every week would be quite rapid. Also, simply cutting out junk food and snacks is not a realistic plan that can be maintained once the weight is off; doing it slowly gives you time to adjust to a new lifestyle.
    So you would recommend that one carries on eating junk food, when aiming to reduce fat?

ReputationRep:
    As a reference, i lost 1 stone 5lbs in the 2.5 months or so i was at uni.

That was without really trying and gorging myself at all you can eat on like 3 or 4 occasions...

You could easily lose 2 stone in the 3/4 months if you really wanted to.

I'm at the fun "trying to gain muscle" stage now though so i get to eat a load.

ReputationRep:
    3 months if you work at it

ReputationRep:
    I lost two stones a while ago; turns out they were pebbles.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I have no time for going on a diet/ exercise regime that will take three to four months for me to lose weight... when i want to lose weight, I just put in 100% effort and exercise like crazy, because if i don't see results fast i'll just give up. I managed to lose a stone in a month, but i don't know if this is "healthy" or not...
    On second thoughts... maybe you should take somebody else's advice.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, from between mid July and mid November I lost exactly 2 stone (and did zero exercise :rolleyes).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.