The Student Room Group

Reccomended reading?

I'm considering applying to do classics at university in 2012, but past the set texts in my classical civilisations class and a random history I picked up in my local bookstore (The Classical World: An. epic History of Greece and Rome, Robin Lane Fox) I have no idea what would be a good idea to be reading to get more of an idea for the subject outside of the A level syllabus.

Any suggestions? ^_^
Hmm. Funny how all classicists end up buying RLF's book. :biggrin:

I would recommend reading the works of the major poets, such as Homer, Virgil and Ovid if you haven't yet covered them in your syllabus. You may also want to read the tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides, or the histories of Tacitus and Livy. Get the Penguin versions if you'd rather read the English translations.

As for modern writers, you might want to try Tom Holland's Rubicon, Mary Beard's Pompeii, or Tore Janson's A Natural History of Latin. Or browse the ancient history section of any large bookstore and get whatever that catches your fancy.
(edited 13 years ago)
My advice would be to read what you are interested in. Of course, you should read as widely as you can and that goes without saying, but my preference was Greek drama so I read a load of that.
Stalk the undergraduate reading lists of the unis you want to go to, you can usually find them on the websites after a bit of trawling. Avoid giant textbooks if you can because you'll never get through them, but try and get smaller summary-type books by the same authors

Also, if you're into greek plays, it's all about Simon Goldhill!
Original post by frequent_flyer
Stalk the undergraduate reading lists of the unis you want to go to, you can usually find them on the websites after a bit of trawling. Avoid giant textbooks if you can because you'll never get through them, but try and get smaller summary-type books by the same authors

Also, if you're into greek plays, it's all about Simon Goldhill!

Speaking of summary-type books, A Very Short Introduction to Classics is an excellent read, succinct but informative. :biggrin:
Original post by Sempiternitas
Speaking of summary-type books, A Very Short Introduction to Classics is an excellent read, succinct but informative. :biggrin:

Absolutely agree, A Very Short Introductions are brilliant and full of information... just make sure you don't put them down on your personal statement!
Original post by frequent_flyer
Absolutely agree, A Very Short Introductions are brilliant and full of information... just make sure you don't put them down on your personal statement!

Agreed. VSI are highly recommended summer reading by some universities.
I found Persian Fire by Tom Holland to be a very good read, it's all about the Persian War and gives plenty of information on both Persian and Greek civilisation.

I'm currently reading Full Circle by Ferdinand Mount but he seems more concerned with teaching me the history of Christianity and Modern Britain/Europe rather than Ancient Greeks and Romans.

Quick Reply

Latest