Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I take up a second instrument? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in year 11 and I'm on grade 6 piano, have played it since year 7 and I'm really enjoying it. Would it be too much work to do two instruments as well as all my studying? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    PS I can read music reasonably well and would want to take up cello or saxophone

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what instrument you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Cello or saxophone... I edited the first post...

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Two (or three) instruments is easily doable if you know how to manage your time.

The cello and the saxophone are two very different instruments - they use different techniques (playing stings vs. blowing) and often play different styles of music (classical vs. jazz).

Also, saxophones tend to be a little bit cheaper than cellos. Pop into you local music shop and ask to try both of them and see how you find them.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely!!!

Some people may tell suggest this will you mean you are a jack of all trades and master of none, but you can still have one or two 'primary' instruments which you are really good at and a number of others you learn for fun.

I personally play piano, bass, guitar and drums and would love to learn more instruments - if you want to become the greatest pianist or guitarist or violinist, then your secondary instruments may have to take a back seat but you can still get good at them.

Different instrument have different characters and can keep your enjoyment of playing music fresh. When I picked up bass I found it just felt different and was fun in such a different way to guitar, the same happened with drums.

Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Instruments require time, and you've got to be aware of that. But having a solid background in piano will definitely make a second instrument easier to learn. Start a new instrument if you want to, but make sure you can commit to the practise time - they say it takes 1000 hours to become a good player!

As a percussionist, I would say take it up - it's not difficult if you have a bit of rhythm, there are plenty of opportunities to play and it's excellent anger management :L.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchanuk)
    Instruments require time, and you've got to be aware of that. But having a solid background in piano will definitely make a second instrument easier to learn. Start a new instrument if you want to, but make sure you can commit to the practise time - they say it takes 1000 hours to become a good player!

As a percussionist, I would say take it up - it's not difficult if you have a bit of rhythm, there are plenty of opportunities to play and it's excellent anger management :L.
    1000 hrs so specific

Where did you hear that?

I am in a similar situation. I play piano but just picked up violin (still at grade 1) but always wanted to practice the flute as a hobby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchanuk)

Are you thinking of the slightly dubious suggestion that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert/virtuoso/high succesful at a particular thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Are you thinking of the slightly dubious suggestion that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert/virtuoso/high succesful at a particular thing?
    No no. Just saying that if you are worrying about studying and playing at the same time, better to stick to one instrument if you can't commit to the practise. Be good at one instrument rather than patchy on two.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, if you really want to. At this age (and this level of studies) you're best off starting to learn the instrument now rather than trying to start learning it later, when you have more pressure and more studies.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it :cool:
    I play two instruments myself

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Most musicians have second studies. Work at it, you'll be competent in no time - I played violin briefly in primary school, but quit then basically started all over again in 2008 and I'm Grade 6 now, although it's still secondary to my singing Since you're Grade 6 piano, I'm guessing you've already done Grade 5 theory, or at least have theory knowledge. That'll really help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.